End of a glut?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello all,

Was thinking that with the end of the main growing season about recipes that use fruit/veg that doesn't get to full size or colour/ripeness. So with pickles now firmly entrenched here's a stunner for all those little green tomatoes that you're going to have soon. This one makes an almost candies pickle - scrummy and simple.

Green Tomato Pickle.
4lb/1.8Kg Small green tomatoes.
4lb/1.8Kg Sugar.
1 1/2 Gills/250ml Vinegar (+ a little extra).
1 Stick vanilla.
Brandy.

Wash/wipe the tomatoes and remove any specks (weigh after removing bits to make up to 4lb's.)
Put into a pot with cold water and enough vinegar to make the mix slightly acid. Leave until next day.

Put vinegar into a pan with the sugar and gently boil until clear, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add some of the tomatoes and boil gently until soft. Take the tomatoes out and put into some jars which have been rinsed out with brandy. (Have a small snifter or two at this point). Continue until all your tomatoes are done.

Boil the vinegar slowly for another 10 minutes and then skin the surface. Add the vanilla which should be cut into 4 or five pieces and split. Boil for another few minutes and then pour all over the tomatoes in their jars. Cover and seal.

Leave to mature before eating.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That sounds worth a try, a bit different to the usual chutney............I'm going to end up with nearer to 40 lbs from Tumblers, which have come superbly but far too late; unless we get an Indian Summer? atb mac

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is there really any better way to eat green tomatoes than this? http://youtu.be/TuoxY0CUxNg Of course if you don't want to make the aioli, they're just as good served with bottled slad dressing from the market (the preferred ones are either Ranck or Blue Cheese dressings but Vidalia works well too)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Now that looks sensational! I haven't eaten fried green tomatoes since the last time I was your side of the pond, but having watched that demo I'm having them tomorrow for lunch.........thanks for that, atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is there really any better way to eat green tomatoes than this? http://youtu.be/TuoxY0CUxNg Of course if you don't want to make the aioli, they're just as good served with bottled slad dressing from the market (the preferred ones are either Ranck or Blue Cheese dressings but Vidalia works well too)

Must admit that fried green tomatoes is one of those perennial comfort foods, was just posting up some new ideas for folk. The green tomato pickles are very nice, kind've sweet, you can eat them like sweeties.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Must admit that fried green tomatoes is one of those perennial comfort foods, was just posting up some new ideas for folk. The green tomato pickles are very nice, kind've sweet, you can eat them like sweeties.

Yeah and you need to eat the FGTs while still hot and crispy whereas the pickled ones will keep in the pantry.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Green or slightly green 'sharp tangy' toms fried in bacon fat (with bacon of course) makes a stunning sandwich :) Problem in the UK is that for much of the year all thats readily available in shops and supermarkets are the perfect shape red tasteless tomatoes the Spanish ship over whilst keeping the knobbly greenish tasty ones for themselves.

Nice recipe GB :)

We need to wait a while for Blackberries to be right for picking down here...blooming grandson is driving me mad talking about them; I love him with all my heart but sometimes do wish there was a lip zip for five year olds.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Green or slightly green 'sharp tangy' toms fried in bacon fat (with bacon of course) makes a stunning sandwich :) Problem in the UK is that for much of the year all thats readily available in shops and supermarkets are the perfect shape red tasteless tomatoes the Spanish ship over whilst keeping the knobbly greenish tasty ones for themselves.
Aye they are just getting us back for Highland Spring Water. They send us water in the form of a tomato with no flavouring added!
Nice recipe GB :)
It's a friend of mines, though I think he culled it from Constance Spry. (Now there's a cookbook)

We need to wait a while for Blackberries to be right for picking down here...blooming grandson is driving me mad talking about them; I love him with all my heart but sometimes do wish there was a lip zip for five year olds.
There is it's called highland toffee!:) It'll have his mum and the dentist complaining in no time whilst retaining cool Grand-dad status.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE