Emmer seed?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is a repeat for those who dont frequent the Homestead forum.

Does any know of a UK source of Emmer wheat seed? All the ones I have seen have been overseas, The US mainly. Its a bit late but I fancy putting in a 2yard square trial patch to see how it does up here.

Thanks!

Tom

PS Excuse the weeds ( will be sorted later today when the child labour is home) but the Bere barley trial is coming on well.

BerePatch01_zps6b21e0f4.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hi Tom.
You could try Gilchester Organics in Northumberland.They said they were trialling some a year or so ago.
I said I'd take some for the bakery if they ever got a decent bagful sorted.I never heard any more.
They do grow rare grains though.I think they mentioned Einkorn as well.
Einkorn and Emmer wheat are at home in Northern Europe so the climate in Lancashire should suit them.
I'm told that the yield is tiny with both of them though.
Hope this helps, Simon.
Failing that, try Nick Jones from Little Salkeld Watermill near Penrith.If anyone is growing it Nick would know.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks! Ill get in touch with them this weekend as I've had no joy whatsoever getting in touch with anyone who has any that doesn't involve getting it from overseas and I'm leery of bringing seeds in for some reason. I suppose its on the off chance of spreading any diseases. Just feels wrong some how.

Just heard from Rae up on Orkney and the planted their Bere crop last Saturday so ours as a couple of weeks head start.

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE