Emergency candle used for heat

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mix sawdust or small wood chips with melted candle wax, use a plastic egg box as a mould and hey presto you have good firelighters. I used a bag of hamster sawdust from Wilko's and its a good way of using up leftover candles.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Mix sawdust or small wood chips with melted candle wax, use a plastic egg box as a mould and hey presto you have good firelighters. I used a bag of hamster sawdust from Wilko's and its a good way of using up leftover candles.

I have used the cardboard egg boxes, the wax seeps into the card and once the things have cooled, you can just rip the eggbox. They are good fire lighters indeed.

You can use this option to keep warm in even extreme temperatures.
Place your survival candle between your feet, lean up against a tree and wrap yourself completely in a woolen blanket. The candle will warm the air under the blanket and keep you warm overnight.
The candle fumes will ventilate around your neck.

The Native Americans used this technique with great success.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You can use this option to keep warm in even extreme temperatures.
Place your survival candle between your feet, lean up against a tree and wrap yourself completely in a woolen blanket. The candle will warm the air under the blanket and keep you warm overnight. ...

The makers of the Jerven Bag suggest something similar with their bag for arctic conditions.

Incidentally with the right wood chip size you don't need a wick, I use this technique for what my wife calls my 'Roman candles' in the stove. A baked bean can or similar filled with a mixture of sawdust or wood chips and almost any fuel. I burn a lot of polythene wrapping this way, it makes a very useful contribution to the fuel budget. You need something like wood chippings to absorb the liquid fuel for safety, a can of liquid fuel or molten polythene could be very unpleasant if it tipped over in the stove when it was very hot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE