Elwell Felling Axe Refurb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I was kindly given an old Elwell No.5 felling axe some time ago by Jimbo, and it has sat rusting in the garage ever since. A few weeks ago I decided to pull my finger out, and have a crack at it!

The condition of the axe wasn't the best to start with. The head was covered in that naff paint, and the edge was just dreadful. The ash haft had a split down it too, so that was that. So to start I removed the old haft, and stripped the axe head down.

Using the old haft as a template, I made a new one from some old dusty plank I had down the garage; turns out it was teak! Now woodwork is a skill that does not seem to sit right with me, so this was a huge project for me but I really enjoyed the challenge and got into the swing of things shaping it with spoke shave and sand paper.

After removing the old paint from the head, the writing finally became clear. Elwell No.5 and on the other side the date: 1963! I attempted to re-grind the edge myself, but completely botched it with my limited metal working tools and skills. After a chat with Kristophish he kindly agreed to re-grind it for me. I picked it up at the Rough Close meet the other weekend and all I could say was wow! The finish is just beautiful, I ended up using it as a mirror for the weekend. Dead chuffed to say the least

So I fitted the axe head on the new haft using an oak wedge and the original metal wedges. The fit is near perfect at the collar of the axe, whilst not the best at the top though not too much of a problem i hope. The oak wedge broke a little at the top but it's superficial. Not the best, but not too bad for my first try.

Lastly, I knocked up a wee sheath for it last night so it was all finished and safe for transporting to the new house tomorrow, and voila!

The finished article:

Axe head 2 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Axe head by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Axe edge by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

axe closeup by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

axe sheath by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Overall I am really happy with the result. It was a good learning curve when it came to working wood and fitting the head. The edge is now perfect, and I had a lot of fun making the sheath :)

I also knocked up this sheath today for a pukko my father-in-law just made. This sheath has a solid wooden core and is stitched up the back scandi style.

photo 5 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
That looks nob on now mate. Liking the sam brown studs. Makes me wanna get my no7 sorted

Hope tit gets lots of use in your new pad

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Gert beast, is he!

Smashing job on that handle, its not an easy thing for sure and it looks right!

Bet that morrow sharp blade will pee through wood, chop safe!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a gem of a job you've done on that, Hamish..............looks fine and dandy to me! Good luck for the move mate, I hope you'll both be happy up home :)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hamish mate, you are a great leather worker, now the axe haft doesn't fit properly looking from the top down, far too much empty space not enough wedge maybe.
Thinking it might loose its head in use.
As to using teak wood it looks very nice but I think it will split in use.
Sorry for the bad vibes.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Any chance of a pic of the sowing on the back of the knife sheath please.i'm just interested in how this is done with a veiw to a possible project.great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hamish mate, you are a great leather worker, now the axe haft doesn't fit properly looking from the top down, far too much empty space not enough wedge maybe.
Thinking it might loose its head in use.
As to using teak wood it looks very nice but I think it will split in use.
Sorry for the bad vibes.

No worries, you are spot on after all Hugo ;) It does look like it may be a little loose, and I am worried about the teak also. I used the teak because it was all I had, and I can't say I've done the best job on fitting the head though I think it is just the very top that looks loose say the first 5mm, below that is all very tight. . Overall it was just a fun wee project to keep myself busy. When I get a chance I will put it to the test as carefully as I can and see how it goes., and if it breaks then I'll source myself some ash and start again :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I thank you for your response mate,but that's an axe sheath it's the back of the knife sheath I was after ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE