Elm planks

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I was given a dozen elm planks as payment for a job i did, does anyone have any idea what they are worth(roughly) ?, these are around 4ft long & a ft wide half inch thick. All size approx as they do vary slightly, just hoping i did'nt get "seen off" in the deal.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not realy got a plan Hugh, they were payment for clearing a guys loft. I'm that good of a woodworker, so not sure if i'll ruin them. But as i now own them anyway, i might try & making a couple of food prep style kitchen boards & see how i go. Mind £5 a board sounds good !

Rob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think that's a great idea, router the edges off, they should look grand.

If you find yourself out this way, I'll buy a few just for messing with :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Elm was the wood for wall boxes (for salt or candles mainly) hanging racks (spoons and clay pipes) and sliding lid tinder boxes. Construction methods were no more complex than nailing together although there were of course more elaborate ones. The sulphur match holder I made a while back was elm in the original so i copied it in the same.

ATb

Tom

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Elm was the wood for wall boxes (for salt or candles mainly) hanging racks (spoons and clay pipes) and sliding lid tinder boxes. Construction methods were no more complex than nailing together although there were of course more elaborate ones. The sulphur match holder I made a while back was elm in the original so i copied it in the same.

ATb

Tom

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/forest/mythfolk/elm.html

Also bored out and used to make water and sewage pipes, I believe one was still in use until the 60s. It's a very pliant wood, so don't soak your chopping boards if that's what you use it for. At half inch thick the boards would need to be fairly small, maybe some camping chopping boards?

Is there any grain to it? It makes a nice knife handle.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for the input folks, a couple of them have some grain to them, as I recall but not looked at them for a while, as I've not realy had time, with it being a busy time for a self employed gardener.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE