Electronics, soldering , circuits - Advice needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just asking , does anyone here have experience / ability to do soldering of circuits and such like to make projects??
I have a little project in mind i need assistance with.

Please either PM me or post here

Thanks.

I did once repair an mp3 player. The sound wasn't working so I re-soldered one of the connections for the headphone jack and it worked well after.
Not bad considering "if I can fix it, can I have it?" = free mp3 player!

That's the absolute limit of my abilities though. If I had to actually build a circuit I'd be completely lost!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Although I'm no expert, my soldering is reasonably tidy.

The key is to clean the joints, add flux (even if the solder has flux 'built in' I add it) and to heat the items to be joined rather than the solder itself and let their heat melt it

Is this the sort of advice / help you wanted?:rolleyes:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I have done some in the past though I must admit I'm a bit rusty and I haven't yet unpacked/found some of my kit since moving house. What is it you're wanting doing?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
If you want advice, or have a project in mind, it'd be much simpler to just post it and ask - there is a very wide range of complexity when it comes to circuit building, and there's little point in sending/receiving lots of PMs with no luck, and there's an obvious possibility of someone who can do the job not PMing you.

Pete

PS: Feel free to drop me a line if you don't want to post on here, I'm "reasonable" with circuitry and could ask my dad if you need a hand, he's done more in the way of circuit building and modification.

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
I assembled a programmable fuel injection ECU from a kit a few years ago. I had no experience at all, and have fingers like bananas, so there is nothing real difficult about the assembly.

Phil

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
TeeDee,

It depends how 'fiddly' the circuit is. Surface mount components would be more challenging, the smaller the device the shorter time you can 'cook' it for each joint.

We now also have to use lead free solder which is not as easy to work free as the old stuff. However if this is a kit from Maplin or some such thingy then you should be OK. Just don't hold the heat on each junction for too long. Heat the junction with the iron tip for a few moments then bring the solder into contact and it should flow or 'wet' to both the track and the component.

Cheers,
Steve

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a supply of old solder.

I could solder up a circuit, but understanding electronics beyond me

(Im in Exeter too)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE