Electric Radiators. Effective VS Efficient

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Our electricity cables are all buried. The gas pipes are too though….but the electricity isn't thousands of miles of potential pipe bombs.
The gas central heating won't work without the electricity being on anyway.
Power cuts really are rare here, and I have decent camping kit to tide us over in an emergency. That said, I mind power cuts that really were power cuts, modern ones are just blips and normal service is restored pdq :)

M

Vapalux lanterns during The Winter of Discontent kept heat levels up. And spirits too :)

I can also highly recommend the Meaco 8ltr dehumidifiers that Toddy uses. Mine removes about 12 ltrs a day. The house isn't damp, this is shower steam, cooking, two humans, two Jack Russells.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They did :) didn't they ?
I got so vexed with them eventually though; everyone else was excused homework but I had to do it because my teacher walked home past the end of the street and could see that we had light :rolleyes:

I still like the smell of warm paraffin :) The little flying saucers under the cisterns, Tilley lamps and a stove in the kitchen too.
Even the paraffin was rationed though, the garage wasn't selling anyone more than a half gallon near us.

Isn't modern life easy ?

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
image_zpsoqei1y9m.jpeg

:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, it's not, but the gas boiler that provides the hot water for the radiators is electrically controlled, and so are the thermostats.

M

That makes sense. The electric thermostats over here are gradually (but steadily) being replaced with thermocouples independent of the electric grid; That said, we don't have a lot of radiators of any kind left. Mostly the ovens and water heaters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE