Elderflower Vodka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I was out at the weekend and the wife had a cocktail, it was champagne and elderflower vodka and other bits and bobs, the wife asked me if we could make it next year, so i thought i would plan early and ask you knowledgable folks how to go about it!!!

Anyone tried it, how do i do it?

Atesca

Jan 22, 2009
Waltham Abbey
I've never distilled my own vodka (I think you have to get into all sorts of Customs and Excise registries and things for that) but I do have a fairly simple and foolproof way of flavouring vodka that has never let me down:

Empty a cheap bottle of vodka into a large jar
Add somewhere between half a pound and a pound of sugar - the more you add the stronger the final drink will be, I tend to add more sugar the stronger the flavouring will be
Take your flavourings (I usually do fruit, strawberries are a favourite) and put them in sort of permeable mesh bag (you can use muslin if you feel like it, the toe of an unused pair of tights if you don't) and put that in the jar
Put the lid of the jar and store somewhere warm for about 6 weeks to 2 months, take the jar out once a week and give it a good swirl, mixing everything together but not bashing the fruit up too much.
When your time is up, strain and rebottle then either pour your significant other a drink to make up for the brand-new pair of tights you destroyed or, if they were your own tights, let the tasting begin.

I have six jars on the go at the moment, using the last of the blackberries I picked in the local woods 3-4 weeks ago, should be good for Christmas pressies

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you want to try it just now, just buy a bottle of elderflower cordial concentrate (ikea sell it, so does Julian Graves, among others) and add a teaspoonful to the glass of vodka, then the champagne.

Of course, next year you could just make elderflower champagne and add that to the vodka :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. another idea would be to scrounge some dried elderflowers from among those who have some stored or buy fresh from homebrew shops or herbalist suppliers.
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE