Elderberries

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Whilst we were off picking Blackberries, my sister and eldest were off collecting Elderberries, did pretty well too as they collected around 6lb of berries excluding the stalks.

DSCF3866.jpg

So when we all got back home, some of the Elderberries (4 pints) were hived off, 3lb of cooking apples and two pints of water added to the mix and bought to the boil, then simmered until it was a mush, this is now in a straining bag until tomorrow when the juice will be measured and a pound of sugar added for each pint of juice, then all boiled up until the setting point has been reached and hey voila, Elderberry and Apple Jelly.

DSCF3871.jpg

The rest of the Elderberries we turned into Elderberry Pickle, which is superb stuff and unlike many pickles out there, unfortunately we only had enough berries (2 pints) left to make enough pickle to go in a 1lb Kilner jar, still, there are tons of berries left out there, so when we go back over the hill for some more blackberries, we will take another basket and fill it with Elderberries to make some more Jelly and pickle, we did consider making some Elderberry wine, but as we have a stuff load of dried Elderflowers, we thought we would stick with making some more Elderflower Champagne later in the year.

DSCF3875.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looking good mate - care to share the pickle recipe? sounds intriguing....

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looking good mate - care to share the pickle recipe? sounds intriguing....

here you go

Elderberry Pickle

1.5lb Elderberries (off stem weight)
2oz, soft brown sugar
1/2 oz ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of ground cloves
1 medium sized onion
1/2 pint cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of ground mace
2oz seedless raisins

Wash the berries and drain thoroughly, sieve the berries, pressing out all of the juice to make a thin puree, put this into a pan with the onion (finely chopped) and all the other ingredients, bring to the boil and then simmer, stir well for 20 minutes, then pour into small sterilized jars and cover with a vinegar proof lid.

Recipe, via Roger Phillips Wild Food Book ISBN 0-330-28069-4 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Natura...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313525175&sr=1-1

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think I might just give that one a go! There is only so much elderberry port you can drink!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You have been busy.
I went out for more blackberries and small wild plums at Steyning, whilst there I found another Walnut tree heavily laden with nuts, going back when they are ready.
Whilst there I found a tent erected also the stuff bag, where probably young people had been, and they left lots of cans and bottles as well.
I'm thinking of going back to clean it up and stay the night.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You have been busy.
I went out for more blackberries and small wild plums at Steyning, whilst there I found another Walnut tree heavily laden with nuts, going back when they are ready.

Whilst there I found a tent erected also the stuff bag, where probably young people had been, and they left lots of cans and bottles as well.
I'm thinking of going back to clean it up and stay the night.

Might have been looking at the same tree, we have been up at Steyning all day, didnt see any sign of a tent or bottles in the bit we were in though, give me a shout if go back up at any stage, always welcome a bit of company.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Will do.
I was very near the Firing range, and the camp was next to a pond.

Nothing in there today, the Estate probably cleared it all away, in fact i dont think we saw even so much as a fag end in there today, brilliant day out though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE