Elder Woggle and Hogwwed container(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i've been playing again in the shed, and i made these today.

I've been retting some lime bark for the last few weeks,and got it sorted out and dried,so i put some to good use.

I knocked up a container, made from a dried Hogweed(Heracleum sp) stalk ,the lid and base were carved from Larch(Larix sp), and then bound with the Lime(Tilia sp) bark.

Anyway here it is.
hogweedcont.jpg

hogweedcont3.jpg

The loop in the lid is corded Lime bark,using S twist,then the Z twist.
hogweedcont2.jpg

I also made a woggle from Elder(Sambucus sp),for my bushy hat. I hollowed out the pith from a stick,and then did a bit of Kolrosing on it,for a bit of ornementation
hatwogle.jpg

hatwogle2.jpg

Well that was my day in the shed.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I love those Stuart.
Is the Hogweed ok when dried out as I thought it was a skin irritant?
I may have to try some kolrosed woggles for our Scouts to take to Michigan.
Thanks for sharing.
Simon

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I like the look of that very much. Might have to try it myself.

Plastic Ninja it is only the Giant Hogweed that is the irritant, and even then, if dried it should be fine.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
they look really good never really thought there was much use for hogweed. I remember as a kid camping with my big brother he told me you could smoke hogweed and get high. Do not try this at home!! after nearly choking my lungs out I realised he was taking the p. still it gave him a good laugh

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've just come home with the biggest hogweed stem I could find with an idea of doing something like this.

Good grief that stuff is tough! My knife struggled a bit.

How did you dry it out?

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
they look really good never really thought there was much use for hogweed. I remember as a kid camping with my big brother he told me you could smoke hogweed and get high. Do not try this at home!! after nearly choking my lungs out I realised he was taking the p. still it gave him a good laugh

You can Allegedly eat it when its young, prior to unfurling. Ive eaten a few.... But thats me. Im not recommending it.... Just saying ;)

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Nice work, I need to to make a new woggle for my scout necker at some point, getting bored with my custom turks head and need a change.

Do it! I've made more woggles than anything else (even if that's mainly because I don't own an axe...).

Really easy to do and they look great. I ran it as an activity with my Troop, and I did it at a big county event as well. In both cases the lads (and lasses) produced some decent results, despite not really being very whittle-savvy. (I get the impression that it's sadly not the done thing to give kids penknives anymore)

I love yours, OP. I've made a couple of elder ones, and I like how they've turned out. Your kolrosing beats mine though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE