Two Horses (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Here are my two shaving horses. At the back, my old one (made by my dad), and at the front, my new folding horse that I have just made.

Two horses by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

First the old horse, made from a hefty chunk of Ash. Notable is the bent arm, which means the pivot can be nearer the front, but still allowing a good grip without the footbar fouling on the front leg. This allows for a shorter body.

Old horse by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Dad made the horse because he wanted to make (amongst other things) birch besom brooms. On this horse the flat rest can be replaced by a Y shaped "prog", ideal for peeling the bark from poles.

Y Prog by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

I have been using this horse for some time, but it has become a bit wobbly, as there are some splits in the main bed, which run into the leg sockets. I saw a picture on Pinterest of a folding horse, so I thought I would have a go at making one. Here is the new horse.

New horse by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Made from softwood (38 X 89mm CLS studwork timber) I needed two 8ft lengths, plus various bits of scrap that I had at home ( note also my inconsistency in quickly swapping between metric and imperial measures) The new horse is considerably lighter and more portable.

This shows the horse folded.
Folded by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

This horse has a sculpted seat. I got a chance to use my adze to create a vaguely bum shaped hollow, although this needed a lot of sanding afterwards. The seat can slide on the rails of the main frame, and is fixed with a turned wooden pin. If a smaller person wished to use the horse then I could drill a hole for a new seat position.

Seat by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The gripper bar is turned from a piece of Ash. Mostly round section, but with a flat area, and a V groove, to give different gripping options.

Gripper bar by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Here you can see the bare main frame. The work rest comes off by removing another pin, and the gripping frame can be removed by unscrewing two butterfly headed bolts (there are corresponding threaded inserts in the sides of the main frame)

Basic frame by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

At some point I intend to make some different work holding attachments to fit on the basic frame. This will probably include a "spoon mule", of which there seem to be many all over the internet. I'll keep you posted as and when I have something to show.

Thanks for looking!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a nice bit of work there, well designed and executed; looks a very functional piece.

Having been brought up just before the time of decimalisation I too veer wildly between metric and imperial for no good reason at all; doesn't cause me the slightest bother at all but the habit has been known to drive workmates and partner totally berserk :angelic2:

Reactions: Toddy and Muddypaws

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
That is excellent! Don't suppose you've drawn it up have you? :)
Alas no. I was working from one photo on Pinterest, and the link to the original article that it was pinned from was dead. So I just played it by ear, taking some dimensions from the old horse. I could measure up some basic dimensions if you like, but a proper technical drawing wouldn't be much help, as there are already some things that I would change if I had to make another one (more splay in the legs for one).

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Alas no. I was working from one photo on Pinterest, and the link to the original article that it was pinned from was dead. So I just played it by ear, taking some dimensions from the old horse. I could measure up some basic dimensions if you like, but a proper technical drawing wouldn't be much help, as there are already some things that I would change if I had to make another one (more splay in the legs for one).

That was the one mod I was thinking of :)
I like the idea of the folding one so I can shuffle it between my workshop and the wood.
I'll give it a go I think.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Here's a link to a YouTube video where the guy makes a folding saw horse. Of course I didn't see it until after I'd already cut and fitted the legs. But he shows how I would approach the task of I were to make another horse.

I have about 20 degrees of leg angle on my horse (front and back); I would probably widen it to 25 degrees. And I would add some splay to the back legs.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE