Elder tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Yep thats right, elder tinder. I honestly dont know if this is commonly known or what, i certainly havent seen it mentioned.

Take out the pith (so obviously best to find a thicker peice ie more pith) of dead standing elder.

Lights with a flame (match/lighter) easy as pie, and goes on a firestrike pretty easy also. Discovered it today experimenting.

I`m going to get replies from everyone saying "yeah, we know, where have you been?" lol

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Elder pith was used by the romans and alike as wicking for their oil lamps too.

Oh and yea we know where you been? :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Well done Nomad! Just goes to show the power of experimentation! :biggthump :chill:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'm afraid I won't be able to use this tip. You see my family brought me up with good manners and one thing they were very strict on was that I was never to take the pith out of my elders........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :sulk:

I'll get me windshirt......

awww, come on, somebody had to.....

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Justin Time said:
I'm afraid I won't be able to use this tip. You see my family brought me up with good manners and one thing they were very strict on was that I was never to take the pith out of my elders........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :sulk:

:naughty: :rolmao:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Justin Time said:

*Ouch !!"! hahahah :eek:):

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The outer wood of elder also makes exellent kindling.The best technique for breaking it is to gently tap it all the way round whilst holding it on something hard. if you try to split it with your blade it throws the blade out and you end up with lots of little bits. If you work out what I'm trying to say you should end up with long bits of kindling and your pith in one piece.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
justin time, i thought it was good, mandy thought it was brilliant! :eek:):

plenty of elders on my patch, thanks for the tip!

cheers, and.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Elder is also a traditional Spoon wood especially among Celtic peoples, the natural hollow where the pith was is used to help make the bowl and thus saves that part of the job. Of course you'd need a fairly large piece and so would likely need a big branch or main stem.

Never tried to make one myself though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE