Elder hand drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've been having a play today with friction fires.
Struggled with the bow drill owing to my drill not being straight or long enough :confused:, so a little foraging is on the cards for tomorrow!

However, I'd had a long length of dry elder in the shed for ages, about half inch diameter and about 2 foot long. I'd not considered it before because it's mainly pith, only a tiny amount of wood. I gave it a try anyway.
First tried it on a piece of cedar that was given to me. The cedar was too soft.
I then tried it on a piece of ash. Surprisingly I had smoke almost instantly, and within less than a minute I had an ember :D
This was repeated again with beech with the same result. Less than a minute to a smoking ember.

Third time in a row on the ash, and my arms were starting to feel it, ending in smoke but no ember.

Being hollow, the elder only made contact with the hearth board on the outer edge leaving a ring. I don't know if this helped the process, or whether my technique is out of this world.... I'm leaning toward the former on this.

2e5ybupu.jpg

ymypupyv.jpg

touched by nature

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Great work Steve.

Recently I've found elder very useful. Repaired a yard brush and a kids fishing net with it add some shock cord and you have natures tent poles.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Cheers Niels, wasn't expecting anything especially after failing with the bow.

Mike, it's an underrated gift, swmbo had been cutting slices off for beads on her jute bracelets. The bigger pieces make good spoons too.

touched by nature

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cheers Niels, wasn't expecting anything especially after failing with the bow.

Mike, it's an underrated gift, swmbo had been cutting slices off for beads on her jute bracelets. The bigger pieces make good spoons too.

touched by nature

Careful with the spoons, someone told me not to make whistles out of it as its toxic. Not confirmed the risk though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE