Elder flower cordial recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 17, 2008
Leeds/Bristol
Another source of citric acid I have found just recently is Arab/Asian stores! They sell 100g packets of it under the Rajah brand name (the ones who do all the spice sachets) and they're cheaper than wilkinsons. I got mine for 80p per 100g and wilkinsons sell it for 70p for 50g! 10p more for twice the quantity!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I made it for the first time this year - FANTASTIC!

I hunted out a thicker recipe - the reason being that I reckon the higher sugar content should keep it good for much longer - being antibacterial at this concentration. I put some in the freezer and it still didn't freeze or crystalise out the sugar so it looks stable. Here it is:-

20 Elderflower Heads
2kg Sugar
1 pt water
70g citric acid
2 lemons - rinds grated, sliced

Boil up water and sugar and citric acid. Turn off heat and chuck in the lemon and then the flower head (stalks out of the liquid if possible). Leave 12 - 18 hours under clingfilm and then strain through muslin bag. Poor into glass bottles.

Only needs about half an inch in the bottom of the glass - great with chilled water, preferably sparkling. Stir to make sure it all mixes in well.

Jun 24, 2008
france
i have an easy recipe . you get a large plastic bucket.lay alternate layers of elderflowers packed down tightish and sugar to cover each layer . repeat almost to top . chop in half a dozen lemons and fill bucket with hot water . cover and leave for 24 hours , strain and bottle. i make about 20 litres a year and it seems to stay good for a couple of years tho i refrigerate after opening . my girlfriend and her mates make a KIR with cheap sparkling white wine and a dash of elderflower cordial and they love it. also good for ice cream and pancakes I dont like anything sweet so I cant comment .

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Went shooting last night, no rabbits or pigeons :( but lots of elder flower :D

We are making up batches of everyone's different recipes to compare.

Why haven't we done this before.

Cheers

Stewey.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE