El Cheapo Wool Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hi all,

Been thinking time to invest in some wool blankets. Mainly in case the heating goes out at home over winter or as an extra layer when out and about in a tent.

So have been looking at army surplus types then by accident came across these furniture packing covers:

http://www.packingboxes.co.uk/remov..._Y0RlpW34RKvHI8MGNPlxzbyYMzMT1AxoC3scQAvD_BwE

Cheap as chips, good size, wool blend and cross stitched.

So what is the catch?

Am thinking that for furniture removal they must be quite sturdy? No idea on weight? A use once and bin it product? Will fall to bits quite easily as made up from shredded charity shop rejections? I also guess softness is a thought as well! Or is that too much luxury? :)

Any knowledge or thoughts at all?

Cheers

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've got a couple of the removal blankets, left by the removers. They are quite light and I think they're made from recycled material, probably very light on the wool content!

Those Surplus and Outdoors Aucklands look nice, wool mix though.

For me you can't beat 100% wool.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Surley you have more self worth than to use a removal blanket?

Have you looked in charity shops and car boots? I often see them at car boots. (Dont buy any unless very nice as I have plenty.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to tombear….he's got too many wool blankets for the projects he's planned, and said recently that he's intending to sell them on.

Knowing Tom they'll be really good ones.

M

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I'm off to do a 4 day 3 night kayaking expedition in September and was looking to get a couple of cheap wool blankets just for that.
I thought they would come in useful as a nice layer between my sleeping mat and my sleeping bag and also one on top if it gets really cold.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I can't say for certain but i bet those removal blankets would be too thin to provide any real warmth, probably better getting one that was made for sleeping under and just accept that it'll cost more. A good nights sleep is worth it.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE