Sleeping Roll Mat - Silver Side Up or Down?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hello all,

In part thought it was good to start a debate on this to which I also hope to gleam advice :eek:

Myself I have a quite wide and long el cheapo thin mat which has a silver film on both sides that I can fold over once or twice to make a nice thick mat (still with silver on both sides)

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-...043558?hash=item418698ede6:g:P78AAOSwfcVUCNXl

So, I've been thinking. Will this cut the mustard or should I look for something else?

I guess the main points to consider are. Better to have the silverside up or down? ( I have heard arguments for both camps)

Coming back to my double sided version though. I bought this as I thought it could also be used for 2 people to lie on or also could be made as a sort of cocoon for a single person.

Any disadvantages on having the silver film on both the upper and lower at the same time?

Thank you and now throwing this open for ridicule/discussion.

Cheers me dears

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Silver side up to reflect heat.

I am sure this will contribute somewhat to warmth but won't help much with comfort. Add a foam mat or an inflatable pad :)

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Thanks for the comments guys.

I should have mentioned that I also do have a regular army roll mat as well. Another plan was to sandwich this between the silver sheet or just on top or just on the bottom.

I've heard (not tested) that silver side up can draw your heat out..meaning your body has to work harder to generate heat. I would have thought though that yes maybe you have to heat up the silver side but then you get the benefit? Silver side down is then supposed to reflect the cold back so it's harder to reach your body.

Silver side up and down is making me think is good to retain heat and repel cold?

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I've just bought a cheap foil car windscreen cover from china on ebay.. £2 quid :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've just bought a cheap foil car windscreen cover from china on ebay.. £2 quid :)

I experimented with using one if those in the hammock, actually pretty warm but condensation was an issue.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I experimented with using one if those in the hammock, actually pretty warm but condensation was an issue.

I'll be using mine on the tent floor foil side up.. on the roll mat when bivvying.

I was gonna buy one of them in Flashpans link.. but they look to bulky.. more weight to carry.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
I was gonna buy one of them in Flashpans link.. but they look to bulky.. more weight to carry.

Bulky as in the size of a normal roll up mat. You can fold but easier to roll those and you an also squish it with some straps. Weight, surprisingly you would hardly notice.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Silver side up is best to reflect radiated heat back to you.
It doesn't make a lot of difference as conducted heat is a much bigger issue.
Good insulation is most important.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE