Edinburgh botanics courses - heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Hi all,
Just got the adult education prospectus through the door from the botanics and it's got some great wee courses in there.
A couple of fungi id courses (one of which i did last year and was great) and a few wild flower id type courses for next year.
Well worth getting them to send you a copy or check the website...

http://www.rbge.org.uk/

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Aye, think i will sign up for the fungi id 2 course. There was only the first part last year but it really helped. I'm well interested in the flower id courses next year too. Is that a mandloin i see in the background of your profile pic?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
looks good, it's a pity theres no course on how not to be a strung out gardener.:cussing::banghead:

(watering not when its supposed to be, young team not using sunblock, not drinking water, not picking all ripe fruit, letting cats into places they shouldn't be in, walking all over prepped soil etc etc).

:rolleyes::cool:

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Oh dear Rob, sounds like your having a time of it mate. Hope things chill out soon.
Dunc, it looks like a lovely instrument. I play mandolin myself but agree it is very fiddly. Don't think i've ever come across an octave mandola before - must convince myself i dont want one.

Just noticed they are doing a birch craft course as well for anyone who's into that kind of thing...

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
All well now that I've eaten lunch. It's amazing how much better strawberries are when they're still warm.:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :D and they smell sweeter too :cool:
Have you tried them with traditional cranachan ? not the gunk they serve in post restaurants, but the stuff your Mum made when you went home with handfuls of sticky squished hedgerow foraged fruits ?

It's just added to cream and toasted rolled oats over the top and it's one of the ultimate comfort foods of Summer and Autumn :D
My Gran used to stir a drizzle of honey straight out of the combe onto the cream. I can still smell the bowl of waxy honey melting gently by the fire so it'd run :D

cheers,
Mary

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Don't think i've ever come across an octave mandola before - must convince myself i dont want one.

It's a fairly recent innovation, kinda like the little brother of the Irish (or flatback) Bouzouki. You probably don't want to know, but you can pick them up at not entirely unreasonable prices... By which I mean less than £300, although that's a mass-produced Chinese made instrument such as mine, which took a fair bit of work to sort out the set-up. Still, that's always the way unless you spend top dollar on a handmade instrument. It's a lovely beast though... Sorry, I'm not helping, am I? ;)

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Ha ha. Between Mary and Rob talking about food and you talking instrument temptations I'm at a bit of a loss.
Hmmmm stawberries and new toys........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE