Edible Yew berries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I just squeeze out the seed which makes for slow eating, not sure it I would have the patience to do much else with them.

I do know that for an adult one seed wont be pleasant and deadly for a child which is why we got told it was poisonous.

I wonder if the toxin would transfer in cooking could you boil a batch up then sieve to make a jelly?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I would be VERY careful! I heared Ben Orford tell a story of someone who scraped her tooth against a yew berry while spitting it out and was in a coma afterwards. Perhaps some people react differently to others but it seems a dodgy process trying to find out if it is going to disagree with you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rumour has it that one established member here was very poorly after eating the berries?

I've no problem eating anything I'm sure about Spamel, but I mean 100% sure; hark back to tinned sausages in lard, sound revolting, but I'm 100% sure they are fit for human consumption so I'd eat them.

I'll even eat a few roots and leaves,,,,,,,,,, before sitting down to a good curry or stew or course;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Rumour has it that one established member here was very poorly after eating the berries?

I've no problem eating anything I'm sure about Spamel, but I mean 100% sure; hark back to tinned sausages in lard, sound revolting, but I'm 100% sure they are fit for human consumption so I'd eat them.

I'll even eat a few roots and leaves,,,,,,,,,, before sitting down to a good curry or stew or course;)

The sausages in lard are probably just the same as the ones in ten man rations, ok in a pinch but not my food of choice! Still, I'd eat one in a bun no problems!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have to admit, I always have one or two when I see them... I quite like 'em. No ill effects so far - but I'm always very careful about the seeds. I don't sook the last bit of flesh off them, so they've still got a bit of wrapping when I spit them out.

Lots of things are very dangerous if you're not careful enough - axes, fire, traffic... We're surrounded by deadly danger every single day, it's just that you get inured to the dangers you're constantly exposed to. Eating a yew berry isn't really that much different from crossing the road - both can kill you stone dead if you're just a little bit careless. Statistically, I think it's crossing the road that's more likely to kill me, as I do it much more often.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D well i tried one today!
i think quite nice really very sweet, i agree very sticky like syrup.

still a bit unsure about the DEATH bit but nice all the same. Not something I'll be teaching friends and family (just in case).

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
the thought of Yew vodka went through my mind too :D did you put the berries in the alcohol with the seeds in them still? that might account for the toxicity?

Dave, no seeds in the vodka, i'm geussing one of the chemicals in the flesh, reacts or disolves in alcoholic soultions.. making it more potent...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been eating them everyday for over a week now, the trees round here are dripping with them. They're beautifully sweet this year too :D

Just mind and spit the seed out :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
last years yew crop seemed better down this end, but cant be definitive for another week or so, as this week was thefirst time we have had rain for month (excluding 10min of draeg here and there) acnt complain though did get 2nd harvests of some fruits like strawberries..

but back the yew berries, what's about is very sweet for yew berries this year

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bit of a resurgence of a thread but I tried a couple today, kind of sucked the flesh off them after rolling them against the roof of my mouth with my tongue and spat the poisonous pip out.

Tasted quite sweet and the texture was OK, not too far off soft Lychee texture.

Amandamac

Oct 11, 2011
Gloucestershire
I have a huge yew tree overhanging the garden, and berries are falling off by the handful. My two dogs think it's Christmas - food in between meal times. I've been trying to stop them eating the berries, with some difficulty, but I'm slightly reassured by the posts that say that if you don't chew the seed, they're not dangerous. My dogs rarely chew anything before swallowing!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They are renown for killing animals, especially livestock. Which is why they were planted in churchyards where cattle and sheep can't get at them.

xylaria

I have a huge yew tree overhanging the garden, and berries are falling off by the handful. My two dogs think it's Christmas - food in between meal times. I've been trying to stop them eating the berries, with some difficulty, but I'm slightly reassured by the posts that say that if you don't chew the seed, they're not dangerous. My dogs rarely chew anything before swallowing!

A dog has died from chewing a yew stick. Dogs hearts can pack up from eating chocolate. I dont think there hearts are that strong. The educated food choices that adult humans make are one thing, a dog cant make those choices.

Been more toxic with alcohol isnt suprising as some of the substances are more soluble in alcohol.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Dogs hearts can pack up from eating chocolate. I dont think there hearts are that strong. .

Our canine friends have very strong hearts. There is a toxin in chocolate (black/dark chocolat contains the most) called Theobromine which dogs have great difficulty in eliminating & which can cause cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, heart attacks & death.
It is toxic for humans too, but because of our larger size (adults) & our better & more rapid metabolizing & elimination of theobromine we run less risks. Children though can suffer theobromine poisoning should they eat large quantities of chocolat.
White chocolate contains very small amounts of theobromine & so unlikley to cause problems to dogs.

A little more info http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/chocolate.shtml

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I'm wracking my brains here and I really don't think I've seen a yew 'in the wild'. I think we had one in the garden of the family home, but that's about it. Are they usually domestic growers? (for want of a better nomenclature)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE