Edible & Medicinal Plants - Real good read!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
Came across this book at a car boot sale. Had a read, from this point onward I personally believe that this is the best publication describing both Edible & Medicinal Plants within the UK and Northern Europe.

Published by: Hamlyn
Author: Dr Edmund Launert
Illustrated By: Roger Gorringe & Ann Davies
ISBN: 0-600-56395-2

Over 400 species described & illustrated, giving information on their medical uses, edible part, habitats and active ingredients.

I also picked up, Green Guide, Mushrooms & Toadstools by Gordon Dickson ISBN: 1-85368-163-6 – not bad read. And Collins, edible mushrooms, by Harding, Lyon & Tomblin, ISBN: 0-00-219984, a very good book.

Has anyone else read these?
Can anyone else give me better suggestions on other edible / medicinal plant books?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Can't give you better suggestions as I haven't read those but "Wild Food" and "Mushrooms" by Roger Philips and "Food for free" by Richard Mabey are both excellent if you haven't got them.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I picked up three books last year when I visited Cannonhall Farm, near Barnsley. They were £7.99 on the back of the book, but a sticky label on the front priced them at £2!! They are pocket sized books full of colour pictures and explanations of the makeup of variations of the genus.

Collins Nature Guides have a various number of different titles, I opted for:

Trees of Britain and Europe ISBN 0 26 167401 3
Herbs and healing plants of Britain and Europe ISBN 0 26 167405 6
Mushrooms and toadstools of Britain and Europe ISBN 0 26 167406 4

I think they are good compact books, and they have listed the properties of the different species, the herbal book being very informative indeed.

I was happy with my bargain, for £6 I came away with three handy informative books, crammed full of colour photos.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Chip Dale said:
Came across this book at a car boot sale. Had a read, from this point onward I personally believe that this is the best publication describing both Edible & Medicinal Plants within the UK and Northern Europe.

Published by: Hamlyn
Author: Dr Edmund Launert
Illustrated By: Roger Gorringe & Ann Davies
ISBN: 0-600-56395-2

How much did you pay? I've just looked it up on Amazon and there is one used for, wait for it, £134.95 :yikes:

Looks like a great find :biggthump

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Chip Dale said:
I picked the book up for £2.00. I think i may have robbed the poor old girl.

Either you've got the deal of the century or the book on Amazon is just a tad overpriced :shock:

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
You can get it from abebooks, was surprised to see he was actually quite a prolific author i.e. click here

The book "The Country Life guide to edible and medicinal plants of Britain and northern Europe" is about US$15-16, plus postage. :)

Greg

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
All members.

I have just created a Data Base, which i am going to imput details from the book. i will not add pictures as this will be too time consuming, and i have got some sort of life.
Once completed i will up-load it to the web and post the address, exspect completion in the next two weeks, dependent on my lack of typing skills.

Chip

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I managed to pick this up for £5 from my local second hand shop, third impression, published under 'country life guides', but exactly the same book!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
PJMCBear said:
Seeing as there seems to be some demand for a copy of this book, I thought I'd offer a copy up for sale on the forum, before I advertise it on Amazon. I'd stick it in Members Classified, but it won't let me in.

Hi PJ, member classifieds won't let you in because being able to sell on here is a benefit of contributing to the upkeep of the site, which is what the full members have done.

Please don't try to sell things in other places as doing so is inappropriate.

Thanks for your understanding :D
Tony

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Ah, Sorry Tony. Thought I was a contributing member. :togo: I'll have to rectify that. Please feel free to delete my post. :sad6: :notworthy

Apols
PJ

Did it myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE