Edible bits of Alexanders plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Hi All,

This weekend gone I got to go to the coast and tried a few wild edibles including Alexanders. However, I found it to be almost inedible due to being rock hard despite cooking it for a good ten minutes in boiling water. Now I know they are definitely edible, and apparently very nice, so clearly I did something wrong. As such, I was wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me regarding their harvesting and prep, if so many thanks.

1. Exactly which bit of the plant is it that is normally eaten? Is it the bottom of the main stem just above where it goes into the ground or the bottom of the leaf stalk just above where it is attached to the main stem? Or Either?

2. What time of year is it edible and what time of year is the best time to harvest it?

3. Did I cook it long enough?

4. I vaguely remember a 'River Cottage' episode where John Wright cooks some of these (possibly the root also?) but can't remember which episode it was, does anybody know which one it is so I can look it up on 4oD ?

Many thanks in advance!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE