Edge Scribe? (Pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Where can I get an edge scribe that marks a centre line around the edge of a piece of steel like in the pics below?

EdgeMark1.jpg

EdgeMark2.jpg

Cheers.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
How often do you intend to use it?

If one off or very occasionally then how about this; Grind an old hacksaw blade to a chisel edge, then shim up to the level you want. Check the thickness of shimming with micrometer/caliper then tape down to your surface.

Not seen the tooling pictured but guess it don't come cheap.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
That looks very much like an end mill bit fitted into some sort of clamping device which allows it to be set at a given height. Try a local engineering tool supplies company or, if you're really lucky, you may know someone who works for an engineering company who can let you have a blunt one. It would be fine for just scribing the edge of metal plate.

Hope this helps

Martin

Muncus

I think you are after a Vernier Height Gauge but at over £50 I'd tend to use a drill bit the same size as the thickness of steel - you can check the line is in the centre by rotating the bit and marking again, one line you've found the centre, two parallel lines and you need to get a higher quality drill bit.

James

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I bought mine at a knife supplies place (forget which one) but I know a knifemaker who made one from an engine valve. Just sharpen the edge of the valve and chuck it into a drill press.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Any lash-up that you can cobble together will put a mark on the edge....

... all you have to do is to turn it over and repeat the exercise to give you two lines equidistant from the centre-line, The more accurate you become, the closer the lines will appear until they merge into one.

ATB

Ogri the trog

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Could you not just use a marking gauge like joiners use?

Pretty sure mine would do the job on a bit of metal although I have put a tungsten pin (well its actually a thoriated tungsten electrode out of a TIG welder) into it cos its harder than a normal steel pin.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Or you could forget about getting the line in the dead centre altogether and make something up that will provide you with a pair of parallel lines about 0.75mm apart. The simple way if you are using ground flat stock, is to take a bit of the stock, grind an angle on it, harden it and sharpen. Drag the blade past it one way for one mark, flip over and drag past again to get a pair of lines. Grind the cutting edge to the lines before hardening, then you have a little more to remove after hardening to allow for de-carb.

That is how I have been doing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE