Ed Stafford Forest Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’ve a couple/few overhead smocks now and I like em by and large, particularly if they have full side zips that makes the getting on and the taking off a whole lot easier, venting is great too. I used a Ventile SASS smock regular Zip up front sort and that was also a first rate piece of kit too. Currently mostly using a Helikontex Woodsman smock and I really like it, this was before the recent jump in price. There not so much the bargain that they were.

I really like Stafford but there is simply no way I’d pay that sum for that smock. I believe there’s better or nigh on as good for far less moolar.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonathanD

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Currently mostly using a Helikontex Woodsman smock and I really like it, this was before the recent jump in price. There not so much the bargain that they were.
How much do you have to pay for them now? Her in Finland the go for 80 - 95 euros depending on webshop.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Seems this new Ridgeline smock has been knocked down in price by a whopping £70. Already.
It’s hardly a surprise, this thread comes up in a Google search quite early, the general consensus is it’s a decent item made by a good company, but overpriced.

What would be handy is a bit of input from Ridgeline, The Bushcraft Store, and Ed Stafford. If they engaged a bit, and put a human face to the business, I think we’d all benefit.

Reactions: FerlasDave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hes knocked it down £80. £379 to £299. Now if you all email Uncle Ray and tell him he’s charging too much for his knife…..

Reactions: CLEM

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What would be handy is a bit of input from Ridgeline, The Bushcraft Store, and Ed Stafford. If they engaged a bit, and put a human face to the business, I think we’d all benefit.

Absolutely! It is an admission on the part of Ridgeline that they got the pricing of this thing pretty horribly wrong.

As I said earlier, it is a very well-made garment with the inherent flaws of a smock but with the added mystery of a light azure coloured lining. I know that that is Ed Stafford's 'signature' colourway but even so... It'll be interesting to see how many take the plunge and buy one now that the price has been significantly reduced; after that, I'll be intrigued to read their feedback.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Just seen my email from Ridgeline regarding this and they state that they've negotiated baa better price on shipping and materials...does this mean the price of their other items will reduce as well?

Sent from Somerset using magic

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A wee bit of an update: apparently, the reason for the Forest Smock being somewhat more expensive than the usual run of Ridgeline products is the new fabric, the updated(?) technology and Ed Stafford's considerable involvement in the design and testing of it.

Greed might be one way of looking at it; maybe there's an argument for trying to run a business and/or earn a living from it, too. Either way, it can come across as pretty ugly but I believe that Mr Stafford's input was considerable in terms of ideas and time, so maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I think it is certainly more involved than just having your name and logo stamped on the handle of an axe...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE