ebay chainsaw trousers any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've used similar ones

Chainsaw PPE by British Red, on Flickr

They are certainly not the highest protection you can get at Class 1 - but, like you, I couldn't afford to drop a three figure sum. Much, much better than nothing.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Any protection is good but all i will say is, you can even cut through class 3 trousers if the saw is at full revs. What saw are you using? (power etc). if it's just for logging and cross cutting on an occasional basis, they are probably ok.
I'm a tad cautious these days after almost loosing a thumb earlier this year (i'm a tree surgeon with 15 years experience). so just be aware that these trousers are only designed to protect you from glancing blows and not a full on assault.

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
I've seen the end result of a chainsaw and a leg with no protection and from what he said it was only a light kiss from the chain and it left a 16 inch long and 1 inch deep scar on his thigh. Remember to get something for your feet it amazing how many kits don't include foot protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yep, agree with all comments below, especially about being careful and planning each cut even when just logging up and therefore reducing chances of any contact let alone full revs contact...they are clearly not the best in the world at that price and protection rating but perfectly adequate for logging up if it's done safely.

Definately worth getting chainsaw boots, the leather hiking type are more comfortable and versatile but again there is nothing wrong with the cheaper wellie boot ones like BR shows below, I use them myself when the work area is really wet.

Hope that helps :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
there is nothing wrong with the cheaper wellie boot ones like BR shows below, I use them myself when the work area is really wet.

I got them after gaining some advice from a member here. I have to say they have been excellent. I use my saws for harvesting and processing firewood - nothing like the work that professionals like Bam and baggins do, but a good week or two of full time cross cutting and splitting each year.

I would spend more on the trousers if you can, get basic chainsaw wellies (a size smaller than you normally take - trust me) and a decent helmet with better than cheap cr** ear defenders. The likes of us amateurs don't really need a jacket...our most likely injuries are cutting downwards - legs and feet

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Class 1 trousers or bib is perfectly fine for normal chainsaws; the blade is spinning around 20m/ sec. Normally a type A rating, they're for ground use with only frontal protection. Type C trousers are all round protection for arborist use (Up the tree!) and really hot!!
Regardless, the weave of the Kevlar fibres are meant to clog the chain sprocket this stopping the chain. Chaps are also of use to limit the heat build up, I use them for logging up and cutting rings. Stay safe buddy; saws can be nasty buggers!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Having re looked at the photos, they look to have the safety logo for chainsaw protection on the right thigh. If they haven't (if you look elsewhere) they're not protected so don't buy

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I got them after gaining some advice from a member here. I have to say they have been excellent. I use my saws for harvesting and processing firewood - nothing like the work that professionals like Bam and baggins do, but a good week or two of full time cross cutting and splitting each year.

I would spend more on the trousers if you can, get basic chainsaw wellies (a size smaller than you normally take - trust me) and a decent helmet with better than cheap cr** ear defenders. The likes of us amateurs don't really need a jacket...our most likely injuries are cutting downwards - legs and feet

Hey Red; don't ever worry about a jacket for working on the ground - the saw should never be higher than the waistline and you can't get chainsaw protected jackets. Gloves aren't part of PPE anymore (not even rubber anti vibration). You're bang on about ear defenders though mate; get the best you can afford regardless of how little you use a saw.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
Thanks Guys, excellent information. I'll be logging up and crosscutting only, so I'll take a punt. I'll look for the logo.

I have fire brigade wellies, with steel toe and shin protection, that I was planning to use. I don't want to skimp on important safety gear, but money really is tight at the moment.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Dunno why the man above says you can't get chainsaw jackets. We use them daily when working 2 guys in a MEWP?

Anyway, all good advice re: logging. Keep your work area clear of logs and brash, that's the most likely thing to cause a slip or trip. "Good housekeeping" as the industry calls it, is key to safety.

Don't let any form of protection lead to complacency. And get some boots, foot injuries are common when rocking the saw through logs.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Unknown never come across any but from experience and seeing what happens when Powertools develop a mind of their own Id. Rather have some protection on my legs than non, kinda like my wire gloves

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have fire brigade wellies, with steel toe and shin protection, that I was planning to use. I don't want to skimp on important safety gear, but money really is tight at the moment.

Thats what I used to use and a kind tree surgeon explained things to me and, what I had the money, I bought the chainsaw boots for the reasons he told me. If you cant get them now, get some when you can would be my advice - they do offer better leg protection that FB boots and it is one of the likely places to "hit". I understand money being tight though!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I think there was a typo about chainsaw protection jackets folks. I don't know anyone who wears one though even in my regional green services providers

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
IMHO, the best protection against chainsaw cuts is sheer terror.

The greatest risk is complacency . . .

PPE has its place but people should never assume it is a substitute for caution. Like someone above said, Plan Every Cut.

(of course I'm not aiming any of these comments at you guys who work with chainsaws, you know your stuff already)

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Too true while we all aim to avoid accidents, they still happen and i do agree the moment one loses respect for powertools that's when u end up crucifying oneself or something worse irregardless of whether I'm grinding steel or chiseling wood. the facemask gloves and apron go on
IMHO, the best protection against chainsaw cuts is sheer terror.

The greatest risk is complacency . . .

PPE has its place but people should never assume it is a substitute for caution. Like someone above said, Plan Every Cut.

(of course I'm not aiming any of these comments at you guys who work with chainsaws, you know your stuff already)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE