Chainsaw recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Never used an old 024 but i love the 240/241 a proper little screamer with a muff mod. I'v actually got my eye out for a 241 atm
Noticably lighter than a 261 and pretty quick through smaller stuff

What size chain are you running on it mate 3/8p? (Picco)

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Unless you need to be mobile, I highly recommend an electric chainsaw. Quiet, light, less vibration, much less effort, cheap to buy. Wood is my only source of heating, I process tonnes of the stuff yearly. Picked up a Makita model for about £100 three years ago that is still going strong, rarely use my trusty old Stihl...

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Never used an old 024 but i love the 240/241 a proper little screamer with a muff mod. I'v actually got my eye out for a 241 atm
Noticably lighter than a 261 and pretty quick through smaller stuff

What size chain are you running on it mate 3/8p? (Picco)

.325 standard chain with a 7T rim sprocket.

I have been reading about muffler mods on some of the Arb forums looks like a project for a rainy day but happy to leave things as standard for now.

At the moment I’m just culling the several hundred leylandii (trees for people who don’t like trees or people and so much brash for so little firewood!) that a previous owner planted 25 years ago as windbreaks to screen some native trees but no one kept them topped or removed them when they had served their purpose so the native trees have struggled.

It’s a crying shame because if he had planted some proper hedges with the native trees things would be looking good by now but I’ll probably be pushing up daisies by the time the hedges I’m planting are maturing.

After the leylandii (and a few birch that are shading a polytunnel), there is a stand of mature Sitka spruces which will definitely need a bigger bar. :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Unless you need to be mobile, I highly recommend an electric chainsaw. Quiet, light, less vibration, much less effort, cheap to buy. Wood is my only source of heating, I process tonnes of the stuff yearly. Picked up a Makita model for about £100 three years ago that is still going strong, rarely use my trusty old Stihl...

Likewise on the wood for heating but although the “plug in and play” simplicity and lack of noise of an electric saw is attractive, one with a cable is not really an option and the battery ones are a bit ££££££

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My d
Not a Husky fan then! ;)

My dad is the husky man. One of the saws i want though is a t540 when my ms200t dies. Its a cracking hefty top handle when me favorite ms192 runs out of balls
As for muff mods don't attempt it if you arent comfortable tuning a saw. learn to sharpen first, a properly sharp chain on a stock saw will cut faster than a dull chain on a muff mod/ported saw

Rember to knock your rakers/depth gauges down every couple of sharpens too

Reactions: Nomad64

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE