Eating from Natures larder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Stuart said:
Fantastic posts Moonraker :You_Rock_

ever thought of writing some stuff to help grow the Epaedia in the 200 degrees section

Thanks Stuart. Just sharing some info I found useful.

I am not too clear about how it is possible to add info to the Epaedia 200 degree section.

I like the idea but perhaps it needs to be more specific to bushcraft. Because there are many resources out their online already for general identification, medicinal uses, edibility (less so) and I think it is always better to avoid energy in repetition of stuff already freely available. For instance the PFAF database is pretty comprehensive and gives a lot of info we can use. It lacks a good plant ident content but others are there for this. Some decent links to the best sites would suffice.

Perhaps it could focus on providing more detail for uses i.e. a simple photographic guide/s showing plants and techniques for using them. I find photos help a lot more than just text (they don't have to be huge and can be small file size)

So it would be a bushcraft centric resource, focusing on common species (to start) with guides (illustrated are better) of how to use them e.g. Wood, Bark, Flowers, Fruit, Roots, simply done and easy to use/ understand.

To encourage people to contribute there should be some form of example online and/ or maybe a PDF format document which can be downloaded and used to compile the info in a standard format. Then this can be added more easily and give it some uniformity. Finally it could then be available in a A4 size PDF file which can be downloaded and used as Field Guides. The BBC do something similar for basic wildlife guides here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/field_guides/

Just some ideas.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There is a new website in the pipeline.... it should make it easier for the staff to manage and easier for members to submit articles and other pieces ;-)
If you are interested in writing article, pm tony for some guidelines.

:)
Ed

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Tantalus said:
oooh i always called em bullrushes

not too many of them up here tho , guess i will have to stick with turnip greens for now:yuck:

Tant

People call em 'Reedmace' too but that's yer one alright. You'll get wet feet but get in there and grub up the roots from underwater, scrape em and boil em like spuds !!
One word of WARNING. If you forage for cattail roots in lakes or ponds that are frequented by fishermen, be careful of carelessly discarded hooks in the reeds (usually old n rusty too) A few species of fish will bolt to the reeds when hooked and rather than get in and untangle them, some fishermen simply cut their line and let the fish die in a tangled mess and leave line and hooks waiting for the unwary. I know, I got hooked !! They had to push the hook all the way through part of my hand coz of the barb and then cut the eye off with pliers so it would come out. Not to mention the tetanus jab in me bum !! :shock: Not impressed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE