Eating Bowl From Birch

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
That's good stuff Kepis, Also the adze type thingy looks impressive too. A wonderful functional bowl just as a bowl should be. It seems you have found the answer to the Bowly grail. Excuse the pun.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lots of work involved in bowls too, so thats probably why I like them.

Nice work Mark, the block seems to be working well.

Cheers mate, yep, the block is working quite well, think i might need to raise it just a tad though, still that's half the fun developing these things

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's good stuff Kepis, Also the adze type thingy looks impressive too. A wonderful functional bowl just as a bowl should be. It seems you have found the answer to the Bowly grail. Excuse the pun.

Thanks mate - Bowly Grail - i'll get yer coat:lmao::)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Got it finished this afternoon - must admit to be being fairly happy with the way it turned out

DSCN2211.jpg

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I like the idea of getting an adze but you're right about the price of these fellas. Time to save up.

Did you find that it took out the waste really quickly as I find using a bowl/spoon knife can take ages?

Would you like to achieve a thinner bowl? I made one were it was slightly translucent :yikes: which was amazing and that bowl is my cereal bowl and is used daily. I was told to keep going by a mate who has much more bowl making experience and he said the birch would take it.

I need to make more bowls so I may invest in this beautiful adze.

ATB
Craeg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Did you find that it took out the waste really quickly as I find using a bowl/spoon knife can take ages?

Just a tad, took minutes to do, well not actual minutes, but it felt that way compared to using a spoon knife to do it

Would you like to achieve a thinner bowl? I made one were it was slightly translucent :yikes: which was amazing and that bowl is my cereal bowl and is used daily. I was told to keep going by a mate who has much more bowl making experience and he said the birch would take it.

The side walls are thinner than they look, thin enough to let the light from a maglight shine through, the end grain is about 1/4" thick though, but yep thinner is what im aiming for, i hoping to score some bigger pieces of birch this week or next from a mate of mine, although i do have some nice fresh felled Ash on the pile that i could use, but I must get some spoons finished off and out today and make a start on some leather work commissions i have, so the next bowl might have to wait until the weekend - time will tell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE