Eating Bowl From Birch

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I made myself a nice new eating bowl today from a lovely piece of Birch that I've been saving for a little while, the bowl was originally designed to be circular, but as i carved it with my adze and crook knife, it just seemed right to elongate the bowl slightly, giving approx final dimensions of 6 inches long and 5 inches wide.

DSCN2148.jpg

DSCN2152.jpg

I still have quite a bit of work to do to it as it is a little thick and heavy in places and i need to fine carve the exterior and refine the lines somewhat, before I can enjoy eating my breakfast out of it.

DSCN2174.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

I guess to be fair, I probably need to carve myself a Birch spoon to go with it, so it becomes a matching set, well, any excuse right?:rolleyes:.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
One day im gonna sit down and have a really good go at making a bowl. My spoons are passable but not great.

I really like this and thanks for inspiring me.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
What make is your Adze? Been thinking about one for a bit but only now can i really find a use for one.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Now that's nice. Well done Kepis. I like the set up on the first pic for holding the blank in place. Nice one mate.

Cheers mate, the block i made a week or so ago, works well, but needs some mods as the more i use it, the more it's telling me what it needs adding to it to be made better, more on the adze block here

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Not just an adze, but an HK adze :)

I have decided that Hans Karlsson tools are worth the extra money his adzes and gouges are amazing.

Nice bowl by the way :notworthy

thanks, yep the HK tools are the mutts nuts, ive only had this adze since Christmas, but ive fallen in love with it already, it's a wonderful tool, balanced, easy to use and as sharp as a sharp thing can be

Biker

Thanks for the link about the Adze block, cunningly clever construction that. I've saved that to file for possible summer project.

Just checked some details about that Hans Karlson adze, looks lovely! And good tools are worth their weight in gold if they do the job well, and that one looks the biz... However some tools are a little pricey. I ran a search on ebay since I'm there too and this came back as a result:

http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bo...622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5647cf595e

One word says it all. Sheesh!!!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the link about the Adze block, cunningly clever construction that. I've saved that to file for possible summer project.

Just checked some details about that Hans Karlson adze, looks lovely! And good tools are worth their weight in gold if they do the job well, and that one looks the biz... However some tools are a little pricey. I ran a search on ebay since I'm there too and this came back as a result:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxwood-Hand-Carved-Figural-HORSE-RIDER-Stirrup-Adze-/370571958622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5647cf595e

One word says it all. Sheesh!!!

Cheers on the block, i just took the best of everything i saw and tried to combine it into one, works well.

That adze is as you say "sheesh"

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Yup, that bowl's looking good - bowl carving is quite addictive, isn't it?

I like the chopping block as well.

As far as Hans Karlsson tools go, oh yes! I have a few of his tools and they're great.

Cheers

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice to see more and more people getting into bowlcarving and Karlsson tools. Whilst I find there is a world of complex possibilities in spooncarving there is no doubt most folk tend to be more impressed with an ordinary bowl than a stunning spoon. Maybe it's just bigger is more impressive?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
A bit off topic, but I think that the utilitarian nature of a spoon works against it. A spoon is for eating with, or cooking with. A bowl can be for eating from, it can be a fruit bowl, it can contain pot pourri, it can be for holding keys, change, rings etc.

Cheers

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Lots of work involved in bowls too, so thats probably why I like them.

Nice work Mark, the block seems to be working well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE