Eat badgers, says Clarissa Dickson Wright.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
True to a point. Question is how they will be killed. If poisoned or gassed then they might not be safe for consumption.

On the other hand if they're hunted and shot, then why are those the only two choices? Couldn't they just as easily be processed for dog food or swine food?

Getting into the realms of fantasy here.

We are talking specifically about Badgers in relation to the new rules in the UK with regards to culling.
As both poisoning and gassing is illegal i think it's fair to say we are not talking about these instances.

Personally if i kill something i really try to make as much use of it as i can.
There are exceptions like rats, cats, etc that are not really palatable for me, in those cases they'll be dog food.

As Badgers are supposedly good eating, then i'm of the view IF they are going to be killed they should be eaten.

Just because we can kill and eat anything, it doesn't mean we have to kill and eat everything.

IF it's going to be shot then in my view it's better it's eaten, than just thrown in a ditch.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Getting into the realms of fantasy here.

We are talking specifically about Badgers in relation to the new rules in the UK with regards to culling.
As both poisoning and gassing is illegal i think it's fair to say we are not talking about these instances....

I didn't realize they were illegal Particulary as the posts so for (in other threads) seem to indicate they are being thought of (by those supporting the cull) as a pest. I was under the impression that poisoning pests (such as raty was common.

Gassing is illegal? How do your farmers dispose of large chicken flocks when they become surplus? I ask because a few years ago the farmer that leases my land had 3 full houses (a few 1000 birds per house) of half grown chickens when the poultry house he was contracted to dropped his contract. He had no choice but to euthanize the birds as he couldn't afford to finish raising themwithout the buyer. The normal procedure (which he followed) was/is to seal the houses and gas the birds.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Could well be wrong then.

My understanding is that vermin control companies are allowed to gas or poison certain animals, but not farmers.
Happy to be corrected though if i'm wrong.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Could well be wrong then.

My understanding is that vermin control companies are allowed to gas or poison certain animals, but not farmers.
Happy to be corrected though if i'm wrong.

I really don't know how it's done in the UK. But even if you're right, might not the cull be done by a contracted vermin control company?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If a cow with TB isn't fit to eat why would a badger with TB be?
Even if the badger is non infected carrier surely there must be some risk.

We regulary eat roadkill, I wouldnt touch a badger if you paid me. Farmers poison them then throw them beside the road, the carcass then lies about for weeks as the kites which will clear healthy roadkill away in hours leave the poisoned animals alone.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
I wholeheartedly support eating badger - and there is absolutely no innuendo in that statement :cool:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Farmers poison them then throw them beside the road, the carcass then lies about for weeks as the kites which will clear healthy roadkill away in hours leave the poisoned animals alone.

No.

So, a farmer sets out some poison, then watches and waits until badger arrives and eats the poison, follows the badger around until it dies, picks it up, goes for a drive with it (at risk of getting stoppped), then dumps it on a roadside (at risk of being seen)???

Badgers tend not to be picked at by carrion because the hide is far too tough to get through - If a bird (which relies on sight) knows something is poisoned, how come a badger (relies on scent) doesn't?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No.

So, a farmer sets out some poison, then watches and waits until badger arrives and eats the poison, follows the badger around until it dies, picks it up, goes for a drive with it (at risk of getting stoppped), then dumps it on a roadside (at risk of being seen)???

Badgers tend not to be picked at by carrion because the hide is far too tough to get through - If a bird (which relies on sight) knows something is poisoned, how come a badger (relies on scent) doesn't?

Cain't answer all your questions but vultures rely on scent. The same thermals that hold them aloft bring the scent of rotting carcasses.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We don't have vultures here. Not in the avian sense anyway!

What scavengers do you have? Most that I know of scent rotting meat. No matter, I'd still agree with you about them likely not knowing about the poison. That said, I still wouldn't trust road kill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE