Easyjet Carry On!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Last weekend I was in the Czech Republic travelling by Easyjet. We seem to use them a lot.

On the way back the later arrivals we getting their carry on bags checked a lot with a big percentage being consigned to the aircraft hold. My Berghaus Freeflow 35+ 8 was stuffed fat. I think I was lucky to get through.

Next year I'm doing a big trip to Canada including some serious back-woods time. It would we good to have a pack perhaps better suited as a day pack for this trip and that can be used as carry-on luggage regularly.

So before I start a big trawl round the web has anyone experience of this and what would you recommend?

Recently bought some Maxpedition and am nothing but impressed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Last weekend I was in the Czech Republic travelling by Easyjet....Next year I'm doing a big trip to Canada including some serious back-woods time. It would we good to have a pack perhaps better suited as a day pack for this trip and that can be used as carry-on luggage regularly....So before I start a big trawl round the web has anyone experience of this and what would you recommend?...Recently bought some Maxpedition and am nothing but impressed with it..."

Firstly, if you are heading back to the Czech Republic again (or elsewhere in Europe), check out Jet2 airlines, they are cheaper in my experience and very generous with their cabin and hold luggage allowance (22kg), although you do pay extra to take hold luggage.

I have yet to try a Maxpedition pack but I have some of their waist packs and pouches and I am also very impressed.

If you plan to travel afoot in Canada then I'd simply use a carrier bag for a carry on, perhaps a cotton one if you prefer, the less you have to cart around at the other end the better.

I use Crux backpacks mostly, some of their models have detachable lids and for a while I was using the lid of one pack as my carry on bag, with the rest of the pack riding in the hold.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The Czech trip is one we do occasionally to see friends but we travel 2-3 times a year where Easyjet really is the only sensible choice.

Easyjet guaranteed cabin baggage is only 50x40x20cm. You can go 56x45x25cm but at their whim they can make you check those into the hold. I carry most of my fragile a and valuables in my hand luggage.

So 20"x 16"x 8" (sounds doable)

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The Crux packs are quite like my Berghaus.

5.11 Rush 72 would fit if I didn't pack it to the gills. It's 8cm taller than the minimum. 22x15x 8"

5.11 Rush 24 is 20x 12x 11"

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Easyjet guaranteed cabin baggage is only 50x40x20cm. You can go 56x45x25cm but at their whim they can make you check those into the hold. I carry most of my fragile a and valuables in my hand luggage..."

Jet2 will let you take bags measuring 56x45x25 and weighing 10KG in the cabin and I have never seen anyone being forced to check a bag, but I suppose that isn't much good to you if they don't serve your chosen UK airport. :)

If you plan to travel in Canada with only a carry on capable rucksack then I'd be curious to know which one you end up with.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
To Canada we will be taking the works perhaps with an extra suitcase on the way home!

However either my backwoods pack will need to go into a suitcase or be my carry on.

It's not going to be a cheapy so I would like to get further use out of it on Sleazyjet.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers Rob. Can't believe how hard it is to find dimensions on some of these!

Only site I found says the Karrimor is only 7cm deep?

However while looking I found another seller saying the Rush 24 is 7 inches deep not 11".

This was a can of worms.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Found a pack on Military 1st called Condor 30l which looks a fit 20"x13x7" but that looks like a clone of the Maxpedition Condor 16"x14x9.5" which is where I started.

However whilst on the Maxpedition site I found the Vulture ii which is 20"x15" by 9.5" which it tantalisingly close.

The Kodiak Gearslinger is 20"x 13.5"x 7.5" which is as close as I'm getting but I would be worried about carrying any sort of weight for an extended period "back woods" asymmetrically for fear of knackering my back.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Take the bag of your choice and carry it only half full with the bulk of your gear worn through check-in and security.
Once on the plane, strip off/empty your pockets into the bag for a comfortable flight.
A bloke I knew wore his canoeing PFD on a flight and no one asked any questions!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Take the bag of your choice and carry it only half full with the bulk of your gear worn through check-in and security.
Once on the plane, strip off/empty your pockets into the bag for a comfortable flight.
A bloke I knew wore his canoeing PFD on a flight and no one asked any questions!

You can do that or get yourself a Rufus Roo :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
John I do pretty much that as it is! A couple jumpers and additional jacket at least.

It's not just the cost of a bag but hanging around for it. The concern also now being that if I'm over that minimum bag size my hand luggage full of goodies could leave my control.

Like the wearable luggage idea from the perspective of "up yours Easyjet" but outside of flying it serves no useful purpose.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Like the wearable luggage idea from the perspective of "up yours Easyjet" but outside of flying it serves no useful purpose.

Very true it serves no real purpose outside of flying but from what you've been saying you do fly a fair bit so as a long term investment it works out :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Karrimor SF Delta25

"...Cheers Rob. Can't believe how hard it is to find dimensions on some of these!..."

I don't know how helpful this might be, a while back on this thread I asked folks if I could put a laptop inside one, woof helpfully replied that...

My Wifes laptop measures 39cm x 26cm x 4cm, & fits easily, with room to spare in my delta 25.

Rob

I also turned up some additional photos that showed the inside of the pack.

yZSwCZ0.jpg

nOR1Zwf.jpg

:)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's an inherent problem with wearing your stuff on and them cramming it into the pack once onboard. The pack may be small enough to get through the ticket checkers before you board, but once you stuff everything back into it, it still won't fit into the overhead bins (or under the seat) and they'll still take it away and make you check it into the hold. Not to mention holding everybody else up while boarding, and losing valuable time letting everybody else pick the prime overhead bins.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Truly sorry, but as we are considering putting our house on the market, I've put some of my stuff in storage, the delta is one of the items.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE