Earthquake

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elessar

Dec 11, 2007
Essex
I was in my room at college in bedford, shook the whole building, i thought it was someone having a laugh, till i realised the walls were shaking too!!!!

J

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I felt it last night in Manchester lasted about 10 to 15 seconds the bed bed was shaking and it sounded like the chimney was giving way or something was falling in between the cavity walls, had a look this morning and can't see any damage, scary stuff.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
This woke me up in Oldham, central heating pipes clanging together and the boys steel bunkbed creaking and swaying, but not one house or car alarm was set off (eiry silence afterwards).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I can safely say nothing was felt this far north by me at least. Although I do remember the one years ago and was slightly scared, especially with an American nuclear sub base a mile down the road.. that sort of things gives you scary thoughts.

Cheers, Nag.

R

Runs for cake

I'm surprised Chris G didn't feel it. I'm in south Cheshire and everyone I've spoken to today felt it. First time I've felt an earthquake. Don't think i like it much.

Sean

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My daughter felt it in Bradford but I didn't notice anything up in Cumbria.

Mind, I could sleep through a hydrogen bomb landing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
SWMBO woke me up prodding me in the side, she just kept saying "what`s going on, what`s going on". We have a large mirror stood against the chimney breast in the bedroom which was shaking a lot, I had to get out of bed and move it and then I was asleep again in a matter of seconds.

Quite a strange feeling being woken up and then finding your whole world is shaking around you.

Looking forward to the next one

Rich

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Felt it down in Dorset at 00.58 but didn't feel the first at 00.56. Made the house creak a little but no more.

If anyone is interested go to the British Geological Survey site and record your observations. It has a questionaire for people to fill in if you felt the quake. Website page is
http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/questionnaire/EqQuestIntroB.html

Interesting site, as well as giving a list of previous earthquakes in the country.

Steve.

... and by the way, for all those non-Brits out there, apologies for the earthquake natter but we don't get much excitement over here!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Felt nothing here. Mind you, I once slept through an earthquake in Bordeaux in France,that demolished a few things and had people scurrying out of their buildings into the streets and felt nothing then either. Probably not a reliable witness :rolleyes: :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
felt it here in Silkstone, felt like the bloomin' roof was coming off! The wardrobes were shaking and the missus passed a brick I'm sure! I thought it was quite exciting and was dissapointed when there weren't any more shocks! It had been blowing a gale up until the earthquake, but then all was still. Wierd!

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Runs for cake - I could sleep through a grenade going off in the room, although if one of the kids make a squeek I'd probably wake up straight away.

Anyway, everyone at work today has been saying how much their houses were shaking last night.

Thinking about it, would you feel it as much if you were sleeping in a hamock???

Chris

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
I didnt feel a thing neither did my family or the guy who lives next door.Ive been told a lad broke his hip after his chimney collapsed due to the quake though,not sure where in uk the boy,s house was though.

Felt it down in Dorset at 00.58 but didn't feel the first at 00.56. Made the house creak a little but no more.

Scrubcutter

I may be wrong, but I guess you did feel the main shockwave...

The main quake happened at about 00.55 and has been reported as lasting about 10 seconds.

I felt it around 00:56 but it lasted around 30 seconds, as I was awake at the time I heard / felt it coming and it built up in intensity then reached its peak for around 10 seconds, and then felt it going away (roughly north to south).

So it's likely that you felt it in Dorset a minute or so later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE