Early morning, collecting flint (pic heavy).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
After Hiraeth posted asking if anyone had any flint (http://http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=395512#post395512), I offered to get some flakes in the post.

I set out at about 07:30 on Sunday morning leaving SWMBO asleep. In the hope of finding somewhere new I didn't go to one of our usual haunts, where there are some big blocks of flint. Instead I went off to find a ploughed field. After some bimbling about I spotted one from the road and set off down the path.
filededge.jpg

The first field had a few scattered pieces about the size of a fist.
flints2.jpg

There were also some blocks of 'puddingstone', a very tough conglomerate which must be a real plough-breaker.
pudding.jpg

I had a look at the field next door and found much, much more. Every lump you can see in the field is another block of flint.
flints.jpg

I smashed up a few of the blackest blocks and collected the best looking flakes. I did see a couple of small sparks struck off my geo hammer so it works!

It was at this point I noticed a small patch of woodland that I had not been into before.
bluebells2.jpg

It turned out to be a 3 acre piece of semi-natural ancient woodland. Bluebells, wood anemones, cherries (in blossom, going back to see those in autumn!), hazel etc. I was wondering who owned/managed it when I came across a sign saying it was Crown Estate land.

Discretion seemed in order so I stepped out of the woods and settled down for a brew.
brewup.jpg

Plenty of wildlife about: bunnies, small birds (tits, wren, woodpecker and a pheasant calling).

The flint flakes will be on their way to Hiraeth in Wales. Thanks for the excuse for a splendid misty morning's walk.

Cheers,
Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
AH! The pleasure you had in rendering a selfless service to another person - it restores my faith in the belife that if you give then you receive and the more you give the more you get in return!
Good on you mate!
Looks like you had a great morning...:You_Rock_ and colect rocks too....

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
AH! The pleasure you had in rendering a selfless service to another person - it restores my faith in the belife that if you give then you receive and the more you give the more you get in return!
Good on you mate!
Looks like you had a great morning...:You_Rock_ and colect rocks too....

So say we all!!

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
The flint arrived this morning steve , and the striker i ordered from Mike Ameling arrived the same time. So it looks like im off for an afternoon of firestarting. Thanks once again for taking the trouble to help me out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE