Earliest footprints outside Africa discovered in Norfolk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
cheers for that, well intrested in that sort of thing. Hopefully its not another piltdown man, or a family paddling.

Shows the british isles have been populated and emptied many times.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
or hob nailed....
convenient how they "washed away" after a fortnight, but otherwise remained unscathed for "800,000 years"??? Pull the other one, smells like a scam to me....:confused:

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
or hob nailed....
convenient how they "washed away" after a fortnight, but otherwise remained unscathed for "800,000 years"??? Pull the other one, smells like a scam to me....:confused:

The coastal erosion took off a top layer of sand and mud revealing the older harder peat/mud below - it's quite common on beaches.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Similar footprints in the River Severn mud, as seen on Time Team. Much more recent but the principle of their preservation and of their destruction is the same. Terrific snapshot of children possibly playing on one site. And, the people were bushcrafting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Similar footprints in the River Severn mud, as seen on Time Team. Much more recent but the principle of their preservation and of their destruction is the same. Terrific snapshot of children possibly playing on one site. And, the people were bushcrafting.

Not really, more sourcing food to stay alive; doubtful it was a bimble to the beach for fun.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
It's not surprising how quickly they're wearing away. Have a quick Google search of happisburgh (or "haysbruh" as we pronounce it round here) and you see how quick the whole village is disappearing. The well that was once in the middle of the village is now half way down the beach.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Very interesting story. I found some flint tools a couple of years back, whilst digging a pond in my garden. I only took them to the museum the other day to get them dated and see if they have any significance, as a woolly mammoth was found in the 70s not far from my garden. I think one is a spear point and the others are scrapers. It would be nice if they found woolly mammoth DNA on them. It's going to take six weeks before I get them back. I will put some pics up on here then.

Here's a picture from the Ipswich museum of a woolly mammoth. There was some flint tools in a case next to the mammoth but they weren't found near the mammoth's skeleton. If my flint tools are connected to the mammoth, I'll donate them to the museum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28910570@N08/3781411247/

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A small point but all young animals play and young human animals are no different, so, yes, it is quite likely that small hominid footprints in apparently random patterns near to those of adults are going to be of them playing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE