Dyneema

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Elen, you could make life very easy for your ridgeline by investing in a dutch fly and a dutch clip. UK hammocks sell them and they require no knots and stay rock solid. For dyneema for your ridge line i would go for 1.8mm stein throwline or marlow 2.0mm. dutch stuff works best with the 1.8. you can also get 1.75mm 'zing it' or 'lash it' from uk hammocks which is fine too

That stuff looks very good - I'm now spoilt for choices! Another cup of chocolate and a couple of homemade ginger biscuits is called for :D

Elen Sentier

Not an issue for the tree really as its only carrying the weight of the tarp and with very little movement where as a hammock is supporting your body weight and just using dyneema would cause bark damage.

As Paul said above the Dutch gear is exceptionally good too and smaller than the Fig9s, just thinking about things being awkward for your hands. With a bit of practise you can tension and fix a fig9 with one hand.
If I knew how to upload a video I would do one for you but I don't.

I found a video here. Very useful. I like the ti clips in the dutch ware. The flyz look very similar to the Fig9.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Elen, I will show you my set up.

I use this as my ridgeline, stein throwline 1.8mm -http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...es/stein-skyline-dyneema-throwline-1-8mm-50m/

I then use a dutch hook - http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...prQvaA7REaoO71FLyAr&shop_param=cid=13&aid=51&

This is tied to the ridgeline, it basically wraps round the tree then hooks back on to the ridgeline.

At the other end I have 1 of these -http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...prQvaA7REaoO71FLyAr&shop_param=cid=13&aid=52&

Again you go round the tree and wrap it round the dutch fly, this enables me to have a ridgeline that is quick to put up and doesnt relie on any knots.

I also use the same cord for my guy lines, I use these to tension it - http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...QprQvaA7REaoO71FLyAr&shop_param=cid=3&aid=16&

So again no knots and very easy to re tension if it goes a bit slack.

For my whoopies that are threaded through the channel on my hammock, I use these - http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...prQvaA7REaoO71FLyAr&shop_param=cid=13&aid=68&

They are spliced on to the whoopies, then all you need is a set of tree straps - http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...QprQvaA7REaoO71FLyAr&shop_param=cid=3&aid=27&

And the whoopie hook literally just hooks on to the tree strap and you can adjust the height of your hammock very easily.

My whole set up doesnt need any knots at all, its all very quick to put up even with gloves and and weighs next to nothing.
It does seem a bit of an outlay at first but the time it saves in putting the stuff up and weight and space is definatley worth it.

Hope it helps, any questions let me no.

Steve

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I use Dyneema for my hammock support lines and for the structural ridgeline on the hammock used to set a comfortable sag. Unlike many others I prefer to use UCRs instead of whoopie slings. The line I use is an arborist throw line called DynaGlide - approx 2mm 1000 pound break strength. I leave the UCR attached to the tree strap (wrap strap around tree and feed it through a loop at the other end of the strap) and attach it to the hammock by larksheading it over the end of the hammock - I prefer this approach since it is the lightest adjustable suspension that I feel comfortable with using. I don't like hard objects with hooks such as the tarp flyz from Dutch because they tend to tangle the lines in the stuff sack and add weight that I feel I can avoid.

For tarp lines the best approach that I have heard of is to use 200 pound Dyneema fishing line - for adjustability have a prussic attached to the tarp right at the pull out loop and feed the tarp line through the prussic - allows one to adjust the line while still staying under the tarp.

You may want to look as some of Sgt. Rock's videos - he is pretty hard core about going light weight with his hammock - take a look at his Ghost hammock for example - I've made a couple of these - quite comfortable. His channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ebengman

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
+1 for the (1.8mm) Stein throwline from FR Jones

30_skyline_orange_350.jpg

A Dutch flyze mounted on a klemheist loop is quicker to move along the ridgeline than mounted directly onto the ridgeline itself. I have 4 klemheist loops on mine, one for the dutch hook to fit onto, one for the flyze and two for hanging the tarp from mini carabiners.

Klemheists made from 1.75 "zing-it" from ukhammocks, 1m will suffice or maybe 2m if you want to continue the dyneema and prussics / klemheist theme to your guylines.

:)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I've found the Stein stuff easier to splice than the lash-it and deffo more than zing-it, maybe it's just me but I'm glad I didn't buy loads of zing-it. I doubt the 0.5mm is the difference. They all lose their bright colour / sheen but the loss of it seems to create more grip, which ain't a bad thing.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've found the Stein stuff easier to splice than the lash-it and deffo more than zing-it, maybe it's just me but I'm glad I didn't buy loads of zing-it. I doubt the 0.5mm is the difference. They all lose their bright colour / sheen but the loss of it seems to create more grip, which ain't a bad thing.

Agreed on the splicing mate, the Stein is the easiest I've found in all the lines. It'll take 2mm welding rod as a splicing tool with ease.

Have to agree on the Orange too-much more visible than the yellow outdoors. All my yellow is now a perfect dead grass colour :)

Elen Sentier

Steve, I like the look of the dutch hooks, have got myself some Fig9s, already have tree-straps and got self some line-locks. If it stops raining tomorrow I'll go out and give things a try in my Woody Bit.

I'm still considering what to do about the ridgeline - currently just paracord.

You guys have given me lots to think about here (ta muchley) so I need to walk some things through and see what feels best :)

Elen Sentier

Splicing is largely beyond my hands - Teepee will recall my claws !!! - so if I have to do things like that it's not an option.

BTW, Teepee, I just scored an EDC hammockette from UK! It weighs nothing at all and I do fit in it ... problem solved with regard to a walkies-hammock light enough for me to carry ??? Twas cheap enough too :D.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Splicing is largely beyond my hands - Teepee will recall my claws !!! - so if I have to do things like that it's not an option.

BTW, Teepee, I just scored an EDC hammockette from UK! It weighs nothing at all and I do fit in it ... problem solved with regard to a walkies-hammock light enough for me to carry ??? Twas cheap enough too :D.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it Elen.

I was playing with one I made a couple of years ago-it made quite a nice seat. Far too small for me but I could have slept in it at a push ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE