Dying/Sewing Wool

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4605

I've got an old, stained (no idea what with :eek:) off-white wool blanket sitting here in my office, and I've been thinking about turning it into an over shirt for a while now, and stuart f's thread about his limited kit outing has prompted me into doing something about it.

At the moment I've got two problems:
  1. As said, the blanket is off-white with a couple of marks on it. Even if you ignore the marks, it's still not very "bushcrafty". Any recommendations/tips for dying?
  2. How do you go about sewing wool? :confused:
Although I could rope in my mother (with her sewing machine) or grandmother-in-law, nothing beats the satisfaction of doing it yourself, so can anyone point me in the right direction?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was given a pile of old cream blankets by the mother in law, they are at least 60 years old. Not bushcrafty HHGGH!, two of them wrapped around me on cold night, they are my favorite bit kit. I have one wrapped around me as I type (well it is cheaper than having the heating on).

I am going to make a viking pinnyfore dress out this one. I plan to dye with hawthorn first. I am not sure the fabric would take machine running stitch without eventually tearing. I am going to hand stitch mine anyway. I am going to research more before I start.

Any tips would be greatfully recieved.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am in the middle of making some stuff from a blanket (traded for on this site) and have so far cut out and made a "bunnet" in true (ish) Scotish style with ex-tent canvas trim.
My domestic sewing machine copes well , set on stitch length 4, and the seams are very strong.
The blanket is very thick and felted and shows no sign of failing allong the stitching.
As the blanket is very thick I am not turning hems, I am binding them with canvas.
The garment is a "Mega-overshirt" based on a pattern for a saxon era tunic.
I will post pictures when it is done......

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
"The garment is a "Mega-overshirt" based on a pattern for a saxon era tunic.
I will post pictures when it is done......"

John, I can't wait to see those!
Is the plan on the CD I just ordered?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"The garment is a "Mega-overshirt" based on a pattern for a saxon era tunic.
I will post pictures when it is done......"

John, I can't wait to see those!
Is the plan on the CD I just ordered?

:rolleyes: perhaps the next volume - if it works OK:cool:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi,
Ive just made two blanket shirts the first out of a ex brit army bed blanket(grey with red borders) this was the more elaborate of the two having separate sleeves stitched to the body a storm collar and hood,on the down side the material is not good.I did it all by hand and blanket stitched it, but you can pull the material apart with not much force so dont know how long it will last,the second was copied direct from Stuart f's thread being cut from one piece of material and just stitched along the body and sleeves,i also copied the hand warmer pocket, the only differance is i cut a V in the neck to allow it over my head easier,and put a flap and button over this to close it over once on, it is also made from a dark green blanket which is of a heavy felt like material,much stronger and heavier than the first.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Any where where I could see a pattern? I have just got hold of a really nice 100% wool blanket for 5quids (no expense spared here:D ) and would like to turn into a blanket shirt too, before my wife puts it in the dogs' bed :yikes:

It's not very thick though, so is it possible to make it shrink in a (sort of) controlled manner? to hopefully thicken it a bit? Thanks for any advice.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here are some pictures of mine
Oct25754.jpg

Oct25753.jpg
Oct25752.jpg

Oct25751.jpg

Basically the materials were - 1 woolblanket, 1 scrap of old heavy tent canvas, 1 packet of Newey eyelets 2 leather thongs.
The pattern was basic - a large rectangle reaching front to back hems with a hole cut for my head and a slit cut for a chest length front opening, two truncated cones for the sleeves, two rectangles for the hood.
This was based on a pattern I made up years ago for a pantomime pirates shirt, which in turn was based on a Saxon era tunic I found on the web.....
The width of the body part was chest plus 6"-8" the length to taste the sleeves 22"- 24"ish ish at the join with the body 14"-18"ishish at the cuff end - length to taste, hood I copies from a jacket I had to hand that fitted OK.
The canvas was used to bind the hems and front opening, the thongs for closing the front opening and as a hood drawcord, the eyelets for the front lacing and drawcord.
All this was sewn on a lightweight domestic sewing machine and the raw edges all overlocked again on a domestic machine.
No rocket science involved but I admit that I have lots of experience in sewing and at one time designed clothing for Craghoppers among others so I have an idea of what I am about.....
It took all the blanket leaving only enough for a beret type hat from the off cuts...
I only have a half size washing machine and the finished thing will not fit - so either it is going to pong soon or I will have to find the nearest launderette!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE