Dyeing leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm making some sheaths with undyed leather for the first time. What are the relative merits of dyeing before or after making it?

Any help gratefully received.

leon-1

Well if you cut, edge and groove everything first then you can get a more even distibution of dye and hopefully not leave blank areas under your stitching.

If you are using white thread so that it stands out it doesn't end up multiple shades of whatever colour you are dying the leather. When you finish stitching it all you have to do is finish the edges waterproof and wax.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I seem to recall this qestion being asked before and, like skinning foxes, there is more than one way and as many opinions. The most obvious advantage though to applying your dye PRIOR to assembly is that of EVEN coverage across all areas, as in beneath any ‘turned’ or secondary stitched sections such as the belt loop etc.

Cheers

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I have tried both and I don't find any difference is the final result.

If you dye first, then it's more difficult in the making stage because you have to prepare everything before final dye and stitch, but it's easier to dye.

If you dye at the end, it's easier to make the whole sheath first but it's more difficult to dye because of all the corners and hidden joins.

The only time you need to dye first is when you want the stitches to be white.

singteck

:D you need to show the result Richard :p

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Thank-you gentlemen. I'm putting noe together now - I'll dye it later in the week.

Thanks for all your advice - Singteck, I'll post pics soon of all my knives and sheaths - but I'm way off your standard.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE