dyeing cotton canvas tarp HELP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D :D

I once asked the lads in the boatyard to hang onto some oak bark for me from the logs they were putting through the woodmizer......they kept three of those big metre square builders bags worth :eek:
I could have dyed a flock with that lot :rolleyes: Very kind of them though.

I like the colour you have on the tarp, very blendinable looking :)

cheers,
Toddy

I've got a white linen tunic arriving in a few weeks which I had intended to dye with nettles in our big pasta saucepan (haven't told mum about that one yet....) and after reading this I'm now wondering whether it's going to work. Any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was about to write up a long screed on how to do this effectively but then thought about Fibrecrafts.

I have isssue with their quantities of mordants, a very little goes a very long way and I'm not in business to selIl the stuff, so I suppose it's inevitable we may disagree.
However, their instructions and their products are very good.
I will not use tin or chrome as a mordant. One forms stable organo metallic compounds that are persistantly toxic in the environment and the other causes feminisation of invertebrates at the bottom end of the foodchain.
I get a really good range of colours from natural dyes without toxifying my environment, I'm not using those two.
Their link
http://www.fibrecrafts.com/resource/fact_file/dyes/mordants.asp
Linen is a cellulose fibre so instructions for dyeing those will be relevant.

If all this throws your plans, www.kemtex.co.uk carry an excellent range of dyes for home use too.

cheers,
Toddy

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Company wasn't silverline was it? Found a dustsheet/tarp same size on that auction site, woven rather than twill.

Also would the fabric be robust enough for making a pack out off? Or a bedroll?

Thanks

Andy

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Company wasn't silverline was it? Found a dustsheet/tarp same size on that auction site, woven rather than twill.

Also would the fabric be robust enough for making a pack out off? Or a bedroll?

Thanks

Andy

Cant remember and apear to have lost the invoice.?

But yes the fabric is good and strong

Here she is up!
Arty.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE