Dyeing a blanket for a capote

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I made one many years ago; tired of it and gave to a friend who disses me by wearing it almost constantly...

I have a blanket....but its a very sad salmon pink.

I want it credible brown.

How do I dye it and would it be best to cut the bits first?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Would walnut dye be dark enough? I ain't got any but I'm sure folk would swap for some.
Definately dye first it's bound to shrink it some

ATB

Tom

Van Dyke Crystals is what them make from walnut husks. Cheap on eBay and possibly hanging around some ones shed for staining wood.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But how secure is it? I have lots of spare bags (I tend to use loose)

What would I use as a mordant?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Sorry Tengu never actually read it (no interest to me) you most definitely don't want to go boiling wool... oh well back to the drawing board then... at least you can rule out Tina teaspoons method then...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a tub big enough for soaking.

would it be best to get a dye removing agent? it might be a ood idea to find what colour it is without the dye? Something cream, maybe?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I bought a very big kids plastic toy box ( it was used as a toy box after I used it) and a big bx of tea bags from the pound shop. Made a brew in the biggest pan we had and let it boil a bit. Added this to the toy box with some cold water and then put the blanket in to soak. Every day, 2 -3 times at first, moved the blanket around and made sure the mix got everywhere. After about 2 weeks I think it was, rinsed and put on the line to dry. NO boiling, no mordant, white blanket to cafe au lait. Job done.

Just remebered I did start a thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130795. Seem as if it was not 2 weeks after all. The colour still was not run nor faded.

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I have access to extremely concentrated [around 7500L per ounce dilution] food grade powdered dyes in Blue, Red, Yellow and Purple or Fluorescein based Green.

Im pretty sure they would dye wool but might need to go through a locking in process but thats not in my area of knowledge im afraid.

If you are interested I can send some over to you so long as you promise not to blame me if you use it without gloves and dye your hands for a week. Lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE