dyed mtp smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cmarkod

Feb 18, 2016
Manchester
coat2.jpgcoat1.jpgcoat3.jpg

So I dyed my MTP smock with brown Idye and this is the result. It was pretty hard as the DWR treatment on the outside was impenetrable and the MVP dropliner in the inside also proved difficult to bypass but I managed to pour some dye in via the drip skirt. Not as dark as I wanted an I only used one packet of dye so I'll have a go with a further pack. The Idye poly managed to dye the zip and Velcro a nice brown though and I'm happy with that. I'll post the final article after I've done it over the weekend.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Interested to ask why you felt a need to dye it? do you feel it was too light for UK environment? Clearly its still obvious that its a Camo jacket?

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I was thinking the same.. why change it. It would be a issue getting the dye to take.. esp with it having the DWR treatment on it.

It has muted the colouring slightly.. if that's the look your after. :rolleyes:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When you dye it next, put some cotton dye in with the i-dye poly; the material is polycotton so you need to be doing both fabrics to get the best results. But it's a major result to have got the trimmings (velcro, stitching etc.) to change

I bet if you do it again with both dyes you'll have a great result :)

cmarkod

Feb 18, 2016
Manchester
I like the design of the smock but felt the MTP was a bit light and I prefer more muted colours. I did want it a little darker than this and I did use the cotton dye too but I don't think I used enough to get the result I wanted. I may leave it a few days as it may grow on me but if not I'll give it another go and hopefully get it a little darker. Happy for it to remain camo, just darker:)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Normal smocks will probably dye better. These mvp smocks use some kind of permanent dwr fabric instead of the basic poly/cotton. Mega for proper cold.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE