DVD problem for Techies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
OK - one for you Techies out there!

A few years ago I was given a DVD which contains several episodes of a series recorded back to back. Although the picture quality is good the soundtrack progressively becomes out of synch with the picture - to the tune of a whole 8 seconds difference by the end!!

Unfortunately I am no longer in touch with the original recorder so I can't get him to correct it 'at source'.

Does anyone know of a way to 'split' the sound from the picture with a view to re-recording the DVD in synch? Does any software exist to do this, or any companies offer this service?

Any advice or information would be appreciated - thanks.

Bob:)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Apparently you need to decrypt the programs with a program like dvd decrypter , and rewrite them to disc . i havent tried this yet , but its what i was advised for a similar problem .
Pumbaa

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This tends to happen when the tapes that were used to record the film are run into the computer - if you don't set the parameters correctly the sound and images drift apart and it's a horrible job re-aligning them. I learned that the hard way and am always very careful now!

If what you have is a standard DVD that plays in a DVD player then I don't think there's an easy way to sort it out. The encoding of those things is pretty complex - designed to combat piracy of the material - and I don't know of a way of extracting the sound. Sorry.

Nicola

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Get an MPEG ripper
rip the dvd to mpeg
import the mpeg into a dvd authoring suite
seperate the sound from the video and re adjust the sound
re-encode and re-burn onto DVD
I think that's how you'd do it anyway.

Easy ???

Maybe not try speaking to somebody at the local camera club they might know of somebody who'll do it for a bung.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
:lmao: precisely! You'd need to find a keen amateur who likes fiddling with stuff and is prepared to be patient with it. Because of the gradual drift it's a real fiddle to get it realigned all the way along its length and if the person isn't patient or precise enough it'll get worse not better as in places the sound will run ahead and in places behind. You'll also suffer loss to the picture quality if you reencode to MPEG then back to DVD.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
In some media players (on the computer), like VLC, you can adjust the audio delay. So one option is to look at that DVD on your computer.

Otherwise you have to either:
a/ play it in VLC with adjusted audio delay and dump the stream to recode it
b/ rip the dvd with dvd decrypter and re-encode with virtual dub where you can adjust audio delay as well

The biggest issue is that I guess the audio delay might not be constant: it could start in sync and gradually increase? If so, you best bet is option a/ and keeping adjusting the audio delay 'life' while dumping it to file.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Thanks for your replies so far - I can see that this is not going to be as easy as I'd hoped!

First stop will be a dictionary so I can decipher the techie-speak!!

Regards

Bob:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE