Dutch Ovens

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
After a rather disasterous attempt to cook bread in the embers under a (rather too thin) steel tin I am after getting a dutch oven. I've been searching the internet and have found some aluminium dutch ovens.... has anyone got / used one of these? .... would solve the problem of the Scouts not careing for it i guess :rolleyes:

also has anyone found a good cheap source? ;) - any comments recomendations gratefully received :)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I don't think an aluminium dutch oven would work at all.. Not like the real cast iron dutch oven anyway.

Scanker, it's strange there's no rim on top of the lid of the dutch oven you linked too, the ones I used always have a rim on top of the lid so it's easier to put coals on top and let them stay on the lid.

On sjovik school in sweden we used them in the last two canoetrips for baking bread and making food in. Really good pots, but I'd only take it on canoetrips or when with a car as it's to heavy to carry all the time I think.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
They have both kinds. I have a couple and they are just the job. Too heavy unless you're mechanised but nothing cooks like a camp oven.

Jack Absalom the Australian artist and bushman legend has a book on cooking using a camp oven.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a cast iron dutch oven that I love using. They are brutally heavy though so I can see the attractions of aluminium. I do wonder whether aluminium would hold and spread the heat as well as iron?

Mine sow have a lip for coals...

Red

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Ours is the type with a lip on the lid, also three short legs on the pot. I can't say we've really used the legs - we normally suspend the pot from a tripod, but the lipped lid is very useful.

Ours looks like the pre-seasoned oven further down the page, but was the price of the ones at the top. You could try dropping them an email, I know a few people on here have bought these from them before.

I'd highly recommend a Dutch Oven, but as BR says they're heavy and for car (or canoe) camping only IMO.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cheers mate, I did see your thread but yesterday I put an offer in on one on ebay and one - it dosn't have a lipped lid or legs but was cheap ;)

thanks for all the comments peeps - with luck I'll have as much success with my culinary exploits as you have.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Ours is the type with a lip on the lid, also three short legs on the pot. I can't say we've really used the legs - we normally suspend the pot from a tripod, but the lipped lid is very useful.

This the way one might use an oven like my small one which has no legs or lip, but a big one is used differently (traditionally). You build you fire and place the oven into the fire to warm it up. Then you dig a depression away from the fire into which you transfer coals from the fire. You then place the over over these coals with your food inside and then more coals on the lid - hence the lip. You need to protect it from the wind as this will affect the heat distribution.

The coals are there to maintain the heat, so you need to be careful in the warming up stage.

S

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
well what ever yer on about isnt a dutch oven!
heres a picture from the 1950 good housekeeping encyclopedia:
dutchoven1.jpg

and heres a couple from the 1901 mrs beatons cookerybook.:
dutchoven3.jpg

dutchoven2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE