Dutch Oven use

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi,

Has anyone any experience of using a 'dutch oven' or 'camp oven' made from anodised aluminium as opposed to cast iron? I got one from Canada but haven't been out to use it yet, just hoping the weight saving doesn't impair the performance.

Any tales appreciated..........

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I used my cast one for the first time the other week,roast two rabbits,two venison joints inside it and roasted some of Spams sweet potatoes in it,the results were excelent,some of the best roast meat you could taste,it was that impressive the wife is going to roast in it on top the the cooker.
i don't think the aluminum one will work as well.as its perhaps to thin and won't hold the amount of heat cast will,try it at home first to see if it does the job.

Bernie

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree with Bernie. I read somewhere that the aluminium ones don't cook as well as the cast iron as they conduct the heat more quickly. The cast ones hold the heat and transfer it to the food much more evenly, giving a more even roast as there are no hot spots.:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a friend who swears by them for camping. The difference in weight and the fact that they do not rust were why she chose them in the first place.
Cooking ? provided the aluminium is fairly thick on the bottom, (my stainless steel pots have a sandwich outer base with aluminium because it's so good) they ought to work very well.
Until all the hype on aluminium and alzeheimer's (which on the latest reading seems like another media hyped scare ) the best jam making maslin pans were aluminium after brass.

A good pot is a good pot, I like my cast iron ones but they're no use if I have to carry them anywhere.

I know the weight issue concerns a lot of us, let us know how you get one with this dutch oven ?

cheers,
Toddy

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
They A) don't hold the heat as well
B) are way more prone to warping, specifically the lids, and a good seal is very important.

Proud owner of 3 Lodge Dutch ovens ( cast iron ) , I eat better in the Woods then I do at home, LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE