Dutch oven Rice and Chicken

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, seeing the crumble thread made me think about our lovely dutch oven meal the other day.

I've had a 12" Dutch oven sitting on the shelf for months and we were expecting some friends over for a BBQ so I thought it time to get it out, it was new so I gave it a good scrubbing and then oiled it, baked it, oiled it, baked it oiled it and left it to go nice and black and hard.

90 minutes before we were due to eat I threw in 3 cups water, 3 cups rice, 2 tins of soup, sliced carrots and mushrooms, pepper, paprika, a little salt and a little chilli then stirred it all together, then laid about 12 lumps of chicken on top (halved breasts) and put the lid on.
Took it outside and put about 8 bricketts underneath and 20 on top and walked away. I rotated it once after about 30 minutes and didn't change the coals.

It was delicious, some of the rice was slightly crunchy, but that could partly be because we mix brown and white and the carrots had a little crunch (just as I like them) so maybe a little longer would be good or a little hotter, even one extra coal could have changed it.

I've not got any pics, my mate has a few on his phone so I'll see if i can get them.

Anyone thinking about getting one and using it, go for it, it's a great way to cook.
And the best bit.......completely non stick, easy as anything to clean afterwards :240:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm looking at cooking this later in the month on a Scout leader training weekend, as a demo.

Which soups did you use Tony? I've planning on using mushroom and chicken...and was going to add a healthy portion of sweet corn too.

Thoughts?

Simon

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sounds delish Tony. Hard to beat a well-made Dutch oven meal. I'm glad you clarified the part about the chicken because I was not sure what a "lump" of chicken was. :lmao:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm looking at cooking this later in the month on a Scout leader training weekend, as a demo.

Which soups did you use Tony? I've planning on using mushroom and chicken...and was going to add a healthy portion of sweet corn too.

Thoughts?

Simon

yeah, one of each, i only had chicken so we used that but I would have split it. I'll try tomato or something next time :D Sweetcorn would be good, might be worth chucking it in half way through.

Hoodoo, yeah, I thought I'd clarify that one :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE