Dutch Half wool thermal tops? Worth a try?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have found a few guys selling these reasonably cheap online and are wondering if they are worth a try.
I haven't been able to find any reviews online other than a few people saying they are good but with no details to go along with the comments.

What is the fit like?
With being only 50% wool do they become becoming smelly with extended wear?
How durable are they?
Do you have to be careful washing them with their wool content; in terms of shrinking/stretching?
Are they itchy?
Do they take ages to try if you get wet while wearing them?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I bought one from Endicotts a couple of years ago - http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...alfwool-dutch-olive-drab-1250-detail?Itemid=0. Quality wise, great. As is usual with Endicotts, the grading was excellent, and I'm sure it was excellent value. However, I found out very quickly just how much wool makes me itch! Even wearing it over something didn't really help - the cuffs still itched. So it went to the charity shop pretty quickly.

However, Paul Kirtley thinks highly of them http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2012/how-to-dress-for-the-far-north-on-a-budget/ -
I have heard these called “Poor Man’s Ullfrotte”! They are a good base layer with a 50% wool content. Non itchy, hard wearing and very warm.

I'm not sure about the 'non-itchy' part, but thats just me. Worth a try, and if you've any questions, Endicotts will be helpful.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Found them a bit itchy myself too, especially if you've worn woolpower.

I bought 5 planet X merino wool 160g base layers at £9.99 each, and they were very good. But I think theyve sold out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE