Dutch bushcraft meeting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2008
Nijmegen, NL
Hi all,

I also had a great time at the weekend. I really liked the attention there was for food (eating from a hangi, salmon above the fire, cooking on dakota fire, etc.). For me that's something I'd like to see the next time (and the times after that).
If it's possible, another plant walk would be great. There is still a lot to be told about plants and trees (edible, medicinal, other practical uses). And I'd love to do the leather workshop.
Some other ideas for workshops would be 'trying to kill the bunny - part 2', psychology of survival, collection and distribution of useful addresses (not really a workshop but useful anyway), navigation without a compass, animal (and human) tracking. There should be something useful in there.

I have also uploaded some pics: http://lunar.hyves.nl/album/28525642/Bushcraft_Hilversum_2008/bkgv/

Cheers!

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi i am very interested in joining in some off your bush craft meetings in Holland but being a English man ( Gordie) i don't know where to start could you please tell me who is the organiser of these meets and how i can get started. i have worked in Holland and spend a lot off my holidays driving camping in Holland over a number off years. i would need some where close to or around Amsterdam as i will be traveling by euro line buses from UK to expensive to come by motor bike or camper van looking forward to response thanks Stanley :rolleyes:

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Hi i am very interested in joining in some off your bush craft meetings in Holland but being a English man ( Gordie) i don't know where to start could you please tell me who is the organiser of these meets and how i can get started. i have worked in Holland and spend a lot off my holidays driving camping in Holland over a number off years. i would need some where close to or around Amsterdam as i will be traveling by euro line buses from UK to expensive to come by motor bike or camper van looking forward to response thanks Stanley :rolleyes:

The next meet in hilversum is in January thats fairly close to Amsterdam

Simon

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi Stanley,

At present, there are 2 meets organized:

1. Dutch Bushcraft Weekend, organized 2 times per year by Anneke treep, Rob Hofman and Marc Smeehuijzen. Posted here: Bushcraftweekend under the nick of "black_kissa".

This one has a history of a few years already. The original website is www.bushcraftweekend.nl. The registering has started a few days ago and within 10 minutes all 70 places were booked. If you register now you'll be on a waiting list. Location: Prehistoric HAPS Village near Apeldoorn.

2. Dutch Buscraft Meeting, organized by my brother Jurjen. We had one this summer, and due to succes we'll have one on January 16-18th. This will be in Hilversum which is fairly close to Amsterdam. BTW: I think there will be always someone kind enough to pick you up and give you a ride.
Posted here: Bushcraft Meeting

Both weekends offer different workshops and a great get-together for the Duthc BC community.......who otherwise have to gather on this forum since it's not yet such a big scene as in the UK. Simply put: we don't have a Ray. :D

Furthermore, I don't think there a lot of organized things going on, though we just had a small weekend's outing with perfect strangers, good fun!

Ps: Courses in Holland: www.extrasurvival.nl and www.tornakbushcraft.nl

Hope this helps!

Thijs

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi Stanley,

At present, there are 2 meets organized:

1. Dutch Bushcraft Weekend, organized 2 times per year by Anneke treep, Rob Hofman and Marc Smeehuijzen. Posted here: Bushcraftweekend under the nick of "black_kissa".

This one has a history of a few years already. The original website is www.bushcraftweekend.nl. The registering has started a few days ago and within 10 minutes all 70 places were booked. If you register now you'll be on a waiting list. Location: Prehistoric HAPS Village near Apeldoorn.

2. Dutch Buscraft Meeting, organized by my brother Jurjen. We had one this summer, and due to succes we'll have one on January 16-18th. This will be in Hilversum which is fairly close to Amsterdam. BTW: I think there will be always someone kind enough to pick you up and give you a ride.
Posted here: Bushcraft Meeting

Both weekends offer different workshops and a great get-together for the Duthc BC community.......who otherwise have to gather on this forum since it's not yet such a big scene as in the UK. Simply put: we don't have a Ray. :D

Furthermore, I don't think there a lot of organized things going on, though we just had a small weekend's outing with perfect strangers, good fun!

Ps: Courses in Holland: www.extrasurvival.nl and www.tornakbushcraft.nl

Hope this helps!

Thijs

Hi Thijs can i say thanks you for a very quick detailed responsce to my qestions
i am delighted i will be even moor delighted when i can get over to one of your meats​
as i would like to get to no you dutch people coulter and history i think this is the best way to learn this
as far as bush craft goes i do make my own knifes from scratch and leather sheathes fore knife and axe. i will be learning from your meats bush craft is very popular in my home county but as yet i have not been to any bush craft meats. in my own country yes we have (ray) i can bring him along in my book?​
i will try to come over for Jan 16-18 meeting but being January cold and my arthritis :eek: mite not let me to many frozen all night fishing trips.and that dreaded age(??) i will keep track off your next meets hopefully April - may. do i need to pay any money for these meets and what would i be required to bring with me in the way off contributing food etc and if anybody was kind enough to give me a lift from Amsterdam i would be moor than happy to contribute to foul costs hope to hear from other dutch bushcrafters many thanks Stanley:) :)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Hi Simon thanks for your quick response i would love to come over Jan but mite not be a good time for me unless we get a barmy Sunny winter think not thanks Stanley :cool:

I doubt it ;) last weekend I was freezing in the night time but the days where ok but then im getting on to ;)

But the weather over here I think you will notice is a tad better than that of the north east!! It does rain but not so much and so long when it gets warm it is warm but when it gets cold!! the wind here is the killer but wrap up warm a wee dram by the fire its quite nice..

But there a really nice bunch of guys over here and your always welcome, I usally go by motor bike anwhere so bit un handy to pick u up, but I could meet you at te rail way station and we could train together saving you worring about getting lost ;)

Last famous words 'Trust me mate youll be fine' ;;;;; :dunno:

Simon

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
:eek:
I doubt it ;) last weekend I was freezing in the night time but the days where ok but then im getting on to ;)

But the weather over here I think you will notice is a tad better than that of the north east!! It does rain but not so much and so long when it gets warm it is warm but when it gets cold!! the wind here is the killer but wrap up warm a wee dram by the fire its quite nice..

But there a really nice bunch of guys over here and your always welcome, I usally go by motor bike anwhere so bit un handy to pick u up, but I could meet you at te rail way station and we could train together saving you worring about getting lost ;)

Last famous words 'Trust me mate youll be fine' ;;;;; :dunno:

Simon

Yes your right Simon when the sun is shining in Holland it is fantastic:cool: i class Holland as my second home as i have spent so much time and money!! there and boy you are right about the rain and wind Ive spent many a rainy day on dutch camping site watching happy campers digging flood defense's around there caravans and tents handing life jackets out camping aqitment and kids floating by my camper van i did video that. and the wind :eek: i lost a brand new gazebo and tent in the first night in august. last year was bad :bluThinki i came over for two weeks i went home after 8 days whimpering and a broken man with family rain!!!!! . i would love to come over on my bike that would be brilliant but dam ferry prices? thanks for the offer to meat me Stanley :D

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
:eek:
i would love to come over on my bike that would be brilliant but dam ferry prices? thanks for the offer to meat me Stanley :D

Shame your so far up north, taking the ferry from ramsgate to oostende is about 40 quid ;) just you'll get to see a lot of country side on the way up ;)

I think the digging the ditches around tents is a dutch thing!!

I was a on a campsite in the ardeche half way up a mountain! there was a dutch family there. In the campsite where small hills and his tent was on the top of the biggest.
He took a shovel and dug a huge trench all the way around his tent work of art it was there was a soak away and everything (brand new big familly tent with all the trimmings) it took him hours of banging clanging and scrapping to do this, lots of shouting and balling to!!.

And of course I looked on quite amused in my folding camp chair with a beer in hand..
As the temp sored to a whopping 30 Degrees C..

I really didn't have the heart to tell him he was probabaly wasting his time as it happend it rained once in two weeks.. ;)

Incedently he left the trench he dug when he packed and left I got the photos to just for the fond memory ;)

See ja..:soapbox:

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
:27:
Shame your so far up north, taking the ferry from ramsgate to oostende is about 40 quid ;) just you'll get to see a lot of country side on the way up ;)

I was a on a campsite in the ardeche half way up a mountain! there was a dutch family there. In the campsite where small hills and his tent was on the top of the biggest.
He took a shovel and dug a huge trench all the way around his tent work of art it was there was a soak away and everything (brand new big familly tent with all the trimmings) it took him hours of banging clanging and scrapping to do this, lots of shouting and balling to!!.

And of course I looked on quite amused in my folding camp chair with a beer in hand..

I really didn't have the heart to tell him he was probabaly wasting his time as it happend it rained once in two weeks.. ;)

Incedently he left the trench he dug when he packed and left I got the photos to just for the fond memory ;)

ye maybe i little to enthuseastic :27:

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands

haha :p Please don't say it's a Dutch thing. We also say things like that about the Germans: "They always dig holes at 'our' beaches". But when asking Germans, they always really don't know what we're talking about :D

But there's maybe truth in it: as I see it, Dutch people don't know how to camp. They pack all their belongings and drive to France/Spain(the shorter the breaks the better, 'traveling is no adventure') with their caravans (Netherland is famous about that). Then they go to a camping with a very luxury swimming pool and fenced off personal campsites. Then they like doing nothing but getting as much tan as they could. Thát's a Dutch thing about camping.

Maybe it's because it's illegal to camp in the wild(and that's a good thing, we don't have much 'wild') and the weather is not always so dry/warm.

This summer I was on my way from Slovenia to the Netherlands and I cooled some beers in a stream. A Dutch lady wondered what I was doing and concluded I was 'survivaling' because I didn't had a refrigerator with me. If you go camping in a tent, even with your car, you are for Dutch standards primitive.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Being Dutch, I have to agree on all points mentioned by Pantalaimon.

And the ditches? Well, we ARE the best in the world in water resisting and land reclaiming! Let's just say it's in our genes, we just can't help it :D

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
haha :p Please don't say it's a Dutch thing. We also say things like that about the Germans: "They always dig holes at 'our' beaches". But when asking Germans, they always really don't know what we're talking about :D

But there's maybe truth in it: as I see it, Dutch people don't know how to camp. They pack all their belongings and drive to France/Spain(the shorter the breaks the better, 'traveling is no adventure') with their caravans (Netherland is famous about that). Then they go to a camping with a very luxury swimming pool and fenced off personal campsites. Then they like doing nothing but getting as much tan as they could. Thát's a Dutch thing about camping.

Maybe it's because it's illegal to camp in the wild(and that's a good thing, we don't have much 'wild') and the weather is not always so dry/warm.

This summer I was on my way from Slovenia to the Netherlands and I cooled some beers in a stream. A Dutch lady wondered what I was doing and concluded I was 'survivaling' because I didn't had a refrigerator with me. If you go camping in a tent, even with your car, you are for Dutch standards primitive.

what are the laws concerning bush craft in Holland regarding where you can sling your hummocks lite fires in the woods . i all ready know the laws about wild camping in Holland because two HUUUUUUUUGE! gun toting:eek: dutch police men told me so don't whant to meat up with them again in the woods :p

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Lighting fires: pretty much nowhere in the wild. Wild camping: not allowed, sometimes a friendly ranger will turn his head, but NOT when you've lit a fire. Best way is trying to find pieces of woodland in particular ownership, and ask the owner.

Niels founf the campsite that we used on internet, it's a scouts area that can be rented. There are more area's like this, but there's no central point to start.

And yep, our policemen carry arms! But in the woods, chances are it'll be a ranger tapping your shoulder.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Lighting fires: pretty much nowhere in the wild. Wild camping: not allowed, sometimes a friendly ranger will turn his head, but NOT when you've lit a fire. Best way is trying to find pieces of woodland in particular ownership, and ask the owner.

Niels founf the campsite that we used on internet, it's a scouts area that can be rented. There are more area's like this, but there's no central point to start.

And yep, our policemen carry arms! But in the woods, chances are it'll be a ranger tapping your shoulder.

well i guess i have to keep tabs on where you guys are going. and if anybody taps me on the shoulder in the middle of the pitch black woods id probably faint or deafen them with my screams :D

Feb 22, 2006
Netherlands
If anyone needs some more info on scout areas/campsites send me a message and I see what I can do..
There are some links somewhere, I'll have a bit if a look around if I can find them. Most of them are privately owned pieces of woodland, sometimes with a fixed campfire place.

Would like to come to this meeting, and already put it in my agenda.

Now I need to have a look around for a warm sleeping bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE