Dutch Army Hooped Bivi Bag

Venator55

Aug 22, 2022
Bedfordshire
Hi Guys, looking for some advice re the Dutch Army Hooped Bivi Bag. I am looking for one of these but am not sure what size I ought to look for. I am 6ft 4ins tall and 17st 10lbs. I believe they come in two sizes, Large and XL.
Any one out there who has one and matches my dimensions, I would appreciate your comments.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
I concur about the size. I don't have a Dutch army hooped bivvy, I have the OEX one and I find it claustrophobic, without any space for gear - and I am small for a bloke. I'd go big as you can.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Definitely go for XL. Will be more comfortable. All designs will be a bit claustrophobic but it’s just to keep you out of the weather and lighter to carry without the extreme prices for something similar.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I found it frankly horrific, like a coffin if I'm honest. I do tend to lean towards being a bit claustrophobic though
These days I would personally only use it in combination with a tarp unless under really good tree cover. I sold my double hooped version a few years back, and do regret it somewhat as I just don't get the same experience from a British milsurp bivi bag. But I was daft to ever think I would given how incredibly different they are!

Sep 14, 2024
Germany
With your height, 100% go for the XL.

I'm 185cm and with the L I can just about fit a 40L backpack at the end but anything larger just wouldn't fit. I've already ordered a broken bivvy to salvage its fabric to possibly extend my current one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE