Dutch army bivi bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just took delivery of a dutch army bivi bag, man it's huge and tough-looking. But I have a question. The entrance is a slit down about 1/3 of the way, with velcro fasteners - easy enough. But the entrance is also lined with a row of press-studs which ar all male. In other words, they cant press together. Obviously, there is another piece of kit which press-dtuds around the entrance, a mosi-net maybe? My question, does anyone know what additional piece of kit attaches here? Is it a mosi-net, or some other clever device?

Cheers.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
the press studs probably pop to the sleeping bag in some way so the bivi and sleeping bag don't twist around whilst you sleep (so you and your sleeping bag don't end up facing away from the entrance :shock: ).
this is how the current US army sleeping system works!

a mozzie net is less likely, i know that holland does have alot of canals and dykes(therefore mozzies) but anything blocking the entrance is tacticly suicude(you'd never get out fast enough) it's why they used velcro rather than the more seamingly suitable zip!

if you get the chance get a look at a dutch sleeping bag!

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
Yep...the press-studs fit a sleeping bag....but I don't know which one!

I love this bag, but wasn't to pleased with just the velcro so I sew in a YKK-zipper!

Cheers,

Gilbert.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Degrorobogo said:

I love this bag, but wasn't to pleased with just the velcro so I sew in a YKK-zipper!

Cheers,

Gilbert.

Aha....
http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.co...een=PROD&Product_Code=086528&Category_Code=71

Yeah, it would seem it's part of a sleep system and the press studs are for the sleeping bag. I agree, the velcro is less than ideal for civvies, and a zipper would be a good solution. Where did you get the YKK zipper?

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
Hi Martyn,

I got the YKK-zipper from a local market that shows up in town each monday and saturday.
I guess they can be bought or ordered by anyone that sells sewing kit!

Cheers,

Gilbert.

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Degrorobogo said:

Cheers,

Gilbert.
:) Ive also moded my bag, I use velcro along the two parts that have press studs. very pleased with the bag. large(Im 6'2") maybe even get some kit in :ekt:

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Ive just tried my bivi bag out after the mods I had done (velcro strip along the opening) had a good night with it but just a word of warning..when I used mine I found it needed re-proofing, it wetted out all over the bag :yikes: hence a damp night :roll: . since then Ive cleaned the bag and re-proofed it wil a nikwax product ment for breathable fabrics (wash in) :idea: ...next test next week.

hope this will be of some use to those that are about to or already have a bag...it was still a bargain at £60 plus £3 for velcro and £10 for wash and proof. way tougher than any civi product out there...
:banghead:

May 18, 2006
St Helens
Im looking to buy a bivi bag does anyone have any ideas which one i should get?
I was thinking of a british army one. its gotta be waterproof or there abouts.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
Degrorobogo said:

Cheers,

Gilbert.

The M90 sleepingbag system.

i also sewn in a zipper ( well my mother did ) in my bivy.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Benjo83 said:
Im looking to buy a bivi bag does anyone have any ideas which one i should get?
I was thinking of a british army one. its gotta be waterproof or there abouts.

I'm more than happy with the British one, but I'd buy new - as used ones tend to wet out and never really get back to the original state. ALWAYS wash with soap suds - available at any supermarket. The best price I have found for New Brit ones is:

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/stock.php?page=bigpic&item=3003

Hope this helps

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gawd, I HATE my bivi bag. It's got mozzie netting which is great, and the Gore-Tex is in magnificent condition but I roll around in it like there's no tomorrow. Add to that a therm-a-rest because I believe in a good night's sleep, I may as well be sleeping on ice.

Adam

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Addyb-I'm the complete opposite!
I sleep like a log on a Thermarest and I love getting right to the bottom and looking out the 'tunnel' at the rain and outdoors. :D
PS Do you have the 'rest in the Bivi like me or on the outside?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE