Dumplings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Just brought a box of Arona (sp) Herb Dumpling Mix. Already as the suet (vegetarian type) mixed in. All you need to do is add cold water and mix it up, then add to your stew /casserole / soup or what have you 20 minutes before serving.

Could be handy ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
innocent bystander said:
Just brought a box of Arona (sp) Herb Dumpling Mix. Already as the suet (vegetarian type) mixed in. All you need to do is add cold water and mix it up, then add to your stew /casserole / soup or what have you 20 minutes before serving.

Could be handy ?

:D Confused me for a moment there, a dumpling up here is a kind of fruit cake boiled in a cloth!

I call the things I think you're talking about 'doughballs' and though they are very easy to make sometimes a pack of dried mix is an awfully handy thing. I use them to bulk out a stew and it lets me add herbs that I've found as I walk about too. Ransons work well in them, but so does the wild oregano. Sage and thyme are classics, but I have added curry powder and they were excellent. :)
If you have some of the wild meats (rabbit/squirrel/pigeon, etc.,) in a slow cooking stew the doughballs round out the meal like spuds do.

My gran used to take the fish bits that normally get thrown away, salmon heads and the like and boiled them up. Strain out the gunk.....the compost heap will love it.....just cover it up well, if you're out just bury it at the foot of a hungry looking tree :) ......and turned this jus into a soup with a little rice, she added tiny little saffron doughballs to this (marigold petals work as well for colour here) By the time the rice had cooked so had the doughballs.

If you make up a basic doughball mix and add some mixed spice and some dried fruit and simmer the balls in milk or made up dried milk and water for 20 mins, and then add some of the Birds Instant Custard to the liquid, it's the nearest I've gotten to steamed pudding and custard in one pot when I'm out. :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I don't do critters Toddy, but they were really nice with my own recipe spicy tvp and bean casserole. I just thought they were a really convenient way of carrying dumpling mix all in one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ooops, sorry :eek: Me neither, I'm vegetarian,vegan mostly, :) I keep forgetting that I'm not the only one on this forum.
If you use the Quorn mince it makes a great chilli and the doughballs work like a rice to soak up the sauce. The same doughball/dumpling things make excellent cereal/bean protein mix for curry too if you use lentils or quick cook yellow split peas.

Cheers,
Toddy.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
daal - one of my all time favourites.

i generally use red lentils for my daal - for basic recipe i do the following.

boil the red lentils until they are a texture you like - i generally like to break them down so they are like a mush. - add some garam masala to this.

i then fry some chillis and garlic and onion. - slightly burning them - and then add to lentils.

good as a basis for any curry, or on its own. - an alternative is to add diced sweet potato to the lentils while they cook.

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
Ah dumplings!! I got taught how to make a less suety (if there is such a word) version of them when I was a kid.

Self-raising flour about a mug for each one
Lard or similar cooking fat a small knob (about the an inch off the corner)
Butter a small knob (same as above)
water a glass full
pinch of salt

mix together into a dough and leave for the self-raising flour to kick in drop in the pan and leave to rise.

I dont like to taste of suet so these work brilliantly, as they dont have that strong overriding taste of the ingredients, and being more breadlike they absorb the flavour of the meal they are cooked in.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Of the subject of dumplings but I Jus gotta tell you how I like my lentils best.

Soak your lentils in water for about an hour (use two or three different types, but keep them seperate) then strain.
Put into a liquidiser and blitz them, adding more water until they make a thick paste. You can add curry powder, chilli powder, corriander etc at this point.
Then, using two spoons, form small dollops of the paste into balls and drop into hot oil.
Drain and serve with yoghurt dips also flavoured with chilli, curry, mint etc.

Very very moreish.

Ogri the trog

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
grahoom said:
daal - one of my all time favourites.

i generally use red lentils for my daal QUOTE]

I always take a lump of home-made curry sauce with me when camping - pounded coriander and cumin seeds mixed up with garlic, tomato paste and onion seeds - it has a consistency of dough and wraps up nicely in some clingfilm. I'll also usually take some onions and (wet) chickpeas, and add any mushies, nuts and tubers found in the bush. The whole thing goes in one pot and is fairly idiot-proof, nutritious and light. The only disadvantage is that any Ranger types out looking for cheeky stealth campers will be drawn to your location by the aroma...

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Hey Nyayo - cheers for the recipe tip - will def. try that next time i am out camping!

know what you mean about the stink tho! could always cover yourself in fox poo.... on second thoughts probably not a good idea.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Now, for my homebrew curry base i always start with a couple of pound of onions, gently fried, with chillies, garlic, ginger, tomatoes (and puree) and the curry chemicals thrown in. Got to have onion. Then wizz the lot, before the serious cooking starts...

Hmmm Bahji's....

Me hungry now.....

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Hey Grahoom - But I always walk around covered in Fox poo...doesn't everybody?

Then again, it may explain some of those odd looks I've been getting lately...

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
raskusdrotti said:
Hi,

I think it's Atora (like the suet) Herb Dumpling Mix!

I got mine in Sainsburys - next to the suet etc
& i'm pretty sure it's vegetarian :D

Neil

Yes, you are right, and yes it is (that's why i chose it :) ).

And yes, they are nice.Specially the herb ones..

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
Originally Posted by raskusdrotti
Hi,

I think it's Atora (like the suet) Herb Dumpling Mix!

I got mine in Sainsburys - next to the suet etc
& i'm pretty sure it's vegetarian

Neil

if it doesn't say vegetarian, be careful as suet is made from beef fat ;)

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Bardialus said:
if it doesn't say vegetarian, be careful as suet is made from beef fat ;)
You can get vegetarian suet and lard.
Methinks if it doesn't say Vegetarian on it ,then a good scowl at the packet and a serious ingredients inspection will we called for. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE