Duluth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I like the 'style' of these packs. And being canvass construction, I bet they are bombproof, but never having used one, what puts me off, is the shoulder straps. And the waist straps. They look very uncomfortable. Compared to the padded modern straps.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I love these packs and ache to own one - but £150 for a day pack?? puts me off somewhat. Paid less than that for my 100ltr pack that carries enough stuff for a week

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I got the Duluth Rambler waxed version earlier this year in their St Patrick's day sale, don't think they still sell that bag now though? But yeah its very tough indeed.

Anyway, to answer Dave's question regarding comfort. You have to ensure that the bag is packed correctly as there is no back padding, so either a blanket, or folded thermarest as the back padding is essential. As for the straps....they are a lot more comfortable than they look actually - although I'm sure it depends on how heavy you make the bag. I've used it for extended weekend trips where I've carried it into the woods for a mile or two and it is perfectly comfortable, even more so than my old snugpack bag which had padded everything!

Wouldn't pay the price that Tamarack are asking though!!!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have a canvas swedish bag with leather straps and they aren't padded at all. It is still quite comfy though as the straps are wide and therefore don't cut in. I've carried a reasonable weight in it, it has the old skool look and I like it. I use it for when I go out shooting to haul rabbits back or whatever (never filled it up yet though! :rolleyes:) and I use it on day hikes aswell. It cost twelve quid!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Having had a few duluth pack bits and the bison bushcraft / frost river pack I would say they both have pros and cons. I certainly wouldn't call either of them fussy. the duluth pack rambler I had a whole 2 zips on it! :eek:

It's really good kit and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to enjoy the old school textures and materials or wanting to go for that olde look. They are very well made and well thought out items. The bed roll was brilliant.

The money is all relative I guess... to an extent you are paying for a name, you're also paying for small volume import in to the UK from a small US manufacturer and that always has a premium. If it's your thing though - well worth it, neither the duluthpack or frost fiver stuff is going to break on you in a hurry.

JohnB

Nov 26, 2003
Lancs. / West Yorks.
I suppose I should have said in the first post that I recently bought a Frost River/Bison Bushcraft Pack. Initially I thought it a bit big and was going to swap it for a Nessmuk Pack, but decided that I liked it too much! The packs aren't cheap, but they seem very tough, with little to go wrong. I gave mine an extra couple of coats of Fjallraven Greenland wax to improve its water resistance. I like the look of the Duluth packs as well.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
John - I like the look of that pack. Do you have any pics you could send me? The Bison site isn't awash with images... I have a birthday coming up this month

Thanks, Pete

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
You can get (or easily make) padded sleeves to go over webbing or leather straps if you find them uncomfortable, but with a reasonable load I've not had a problem.

My usual pack these days is a Nessmuk, but it's badged by and was bought through Gwaltney Gear on eBay a while ago. It seems to be exactly the same as the Frost River one, so presumably they come from the same source. Great size, very convenient pockets and a comfortable carry. If I could make one change to it I'd include a sleeve inside at the back to hold a folded pad or blanket, just to give a little support against the spine. Careful packing has the same effect but a sleeve would be a help when the bag is half empty.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have both Duluth and Frost River packs and really like them but since they are designed for canoe use they are likely to suit me ;)

What I am amazed at is that Tamarack have managed to stock the Duluth packs. Duluth have up till now had no interest at all in distributors or retailers stocking their packs. In the whole of the US if you want a new Duluth pack you need to go to them. Frost River are meant to be interested in distributors but in practise it seems not to be the case. The reason I know this is I have contacted both companies to ask about group buys or even becoming a distributer in the UK for their packs so my hat is of to Tamarack for managing it. They must have had a hard time getting it sorted out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE