Ducks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 24, 2016
Gateshead
I know this isn't bushcraft related but dose anyone hear keep ducks was thinking about getting a couple just to keep in my back garden nothing better than a duck egg omelet on a Saturday morning. Basically I'm just looking for a bit of advice on keeping them I only want 2 so my garden is more than ample size just wondered what best bread, feed, and general stuff to know thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
….and they squit everywhere too.
Nice birds though :)
The foxes get the wild ones that try to nest down the burn :sigh:

Sorry Njl1992, we're being very off putting :eek: My Granny kept duck and hens when I was very little. Her garden had the most wonderful soil :)

I know we don't usually point folks to other forums, but Overthegate has a lot of folks who keeps ducks (and hens and geese and not quail now (Bodger couldn't take the noise any longer!) and they're discussing eggs just now, and I know that they do supply eggs and birds among friends kind of thing as well as the commercial sales.
At least you'll get a range of opinions on the practicalities of keeping ducks :)

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
We've got two, one male one female, get eggs every so often [eggs are awesome in baking], maybe 3-4 week in warmer months. we've got these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHICKEN-R...495538?hash=item25c1758972:g:H04AAMXQyY1TR7P9

I thought it was pricey but lasts way longer than wooden ones, instructions leave a lot to be desired but they are easy to assemble one man job easy enough. And with out the mesh on they double up as a kids climbing frame... :)

Definitely a lot of poop so keeping them enclosed is a good idea in a garden and you'll need water which will have to be cleaned out unless you've got a very large lake to cope with the poop. But the poop is very good for fertilizer. Did I mention poop, cause there's a lot of it :)

I haven't noticed rats, but then I've got cats too. They can be quite noisy and sometimes aggressive - they tend to go for the wife occasionally, but it was her idea...

I have no idea about breeds etc, we re-homed ours, so just had what was there.

Apparently there is an outbreak of bird flue at the moment with people being advised to keep foul 'housed' :-

http://www.cornwalllive.com/uk-bird...until-spring/story-30039640-detail/story.html

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Get ducks, you get rats!

You've got rats about the place regardless of what livestock you've got.

As for ducks, do you have enough room to look after them sensibly? For most breeds I'd suggest more than two, often something more like 3-4 females to one male is the norm. For many breeds water for bathing is essential and they will make a muddy mess in a small area.

Lovely birds to have about the place if you have room.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
….and they squit everywhere too.
Nice birds though :)
The foxes get the wild ones that try to nest down the burn :sigh:

Sorry Njl1992, we're being very off putting :eek: My Granny kept duck and hens when I was very little. Her garden had the most wonderful soil :)

I know we don't usually point folks to other forums, but Overthegate has a lot of folks who keeps ducks (and hens and geese and not quail now (Bodger couldn't take the noise any longer!) and they're discussing eggs just now, and I know that they do supply eggs and birds among friends kind of thing as well as the commercial sales.
At least you'll get a range of opinions on the practicalities of keeping ducks :)

M

WOW that site is awesome so I joined, gave me a few great projects to get on with as soon as my shoulder heals fi knocked be of my bike I think it may have been a assassination attempt.
ps Khaki Cambells are fine ducks loads of character,got two for some friends in Lammas eco village they are slug machines, I can't understand how their eggs taste so good:confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear you've been in the wars, and hope it heals quickly for you. I think if Fi decided to try assassination though, taken out by bike isn't the way she'd choose :D

I wish I could keep ducks, I really do. I have enough slugs and snails here to keep a wee flock of them fed! I couldn't deal with the poop everywhere, and the local foxes and cats would be a real problem too.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE