Dubbing & leather Care

P

Paxo

I know dubbing is old technology, but it is a generic name for boot leather treatment. I just thought I would post some info on the leather care I use for my boots. It can be bought from Tack Shops (Equine) and is used on all leather saddles, bridle and all leather stuff including boots. It is called Effax Leatherbalm. It contains lanolin, advocado oil and beswax waxes. I paid £5.95 for a 500ml tub which will last years. Much cheaper than the 30ml stuff from a camping shop. It smells great too. Just thought the info might be of use to someone.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I use sno-seal on my climbing boots and nothing on my summer wear jungle boots. (My goal with the jungle boots is to get that worn in old-timer look.) I use sno-seal because my Father has told me horror stories about dubbin and mink oil. Namely, waking up in the middle of the night and hearing small forest creatures biting his boots because of some ingredient in the dubbin and mink oil products that attracts them.

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Isn't dubbin traditionally made from rendered sheep fat? That might explain the creatures nibbling in the night.

Having said that the rats will eat soap, so I guess it wouldn't take much!.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Check the care guidelines of your boots before you add dubbin or the like. Mine clearly said don't use since it can compromise the glue that holds the sole to the leather uppers and allow them to leak. :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Thanks for the tip Paxo my sisters has a horse I'll ask her if she has any and give it a try
I've always used dubbing on my boots and take a tin and an old tooth brush out in my pack.Many years ago it used to be advertised on the Waxoil tins ( the stuff for spraying on north sea oil rigs and under cars ) that it was excellent on leather harness, so I always give my new boots a coat the idea being if you warm it, i.e. in a jar in a pan of hot water it really penetrates the stitching this it's great for wax cotton jackets and trousers as well.I've used it on dozens of re-proofs and costs less a gallon than say a small tin of nickwax. cheers Danny

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well hey, everyone's got their own method right? Mine is to take an industrial heat gun on a low setting to the boots to warm up the leather, then I paste on sno-seal which melts and coats the boats in an even layer. When I used to do week long trips in the mountains, I'd be three, or even four of these coatings. I've found that sno-seal breathed wonderfully, and no little animals bit the boots. I had a crazy friend once who put deck sealant onto his boots. Sure, they didn't breathe worth a damn but they sure kept his feet dry! He's in the military now which in a way, explains everything.

Adam

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
is that what they used to call saddle soap?

Saddle soap is a detergent for washing leather, not a conditioner or waterproofer. You usually apply some sort of conditioning treatment after using it to maintain suppleness.

P

Paxo

Gregorach, Effax is not a saddle soap it is a leather conditioner and waterproofer. It is a great product, you get lots for your money and it last a long time. Do a search on Google for it.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Query, fellahs.

This, dubbin ,that youre talking about...is this the sharp-smelling, grease-like stuff which I used to try to get on my soccer boots, as a lad?

Aint seen that for years.

IIRC, it was almost imposs to get it onto anything, except me.

Ceeg

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Paxo said:
Gregorach, Effax is not a saddle soap it is a leather conditioner and waterproofer. It is a great product, you get lots for your money and it last a long time. Do a search on Google for it.

Yeah, I know - that's what I was saying. Running bare asked if it was, and I replied that it wasn't... ;)

I might look out for it the next time I need to buy a leather conditioner.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Seagull said:
Query, fellahs.

This, dubbin ,that youre talking about...is this the sharp-smelling, grease-like stuff which I used to try to get on my soccer boots, as a lad?

Aint seen that for years.

IIRC, it was almost imposs to get it onto anything, except me.

Ceeg

That's the stuff. :D

Still available.

Jan 12, 2006
Kent UK
Dubbin, which is just animal fat and other traditional products that contain lanolins and other animal oils are not too good for leather as they attract bateria that damages the leather and stitching. Much horse riding tack and motorcycle leather has been ruined due to the usage of such products.
The Nikwax and grangers in a tin does not contain animal fats so are a lot safer.

Snowseal is very good at keeping water out but most tests and reviews of this product show that it completely ruins breathability of footwear.

Some of the new Aqueous waxes from Nikwax seem to be the way forward. I have used these and found that they penetrate and last longer without interferring with breathability.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE